Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
They are usually drilled "close" and you have to file out the holes and shit.

Where are in in wisconsin?

I reinforced every mounting tab and post on my plastics with fiberglass before fitting them - one broke off while test fitting.

But, I got the paint lined up and all of them on without and serious issues. They definitely do NOT fit the same as stock, and some of them do not mount the same way either.

If you are mechanically minded, and on a budget, they are decent.

If you are in my area, I can show you my bike and the problems I had. Otherwise, you can find my thread in the ZX7R subforum.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
It's not just how the holes line up, you will find that the ebay skins aren't as thick as the oem parts and alot of them have ripples in the panels. I have a new set of skins that I have painted that had ripples all thru the plastics that took alot of prep to smooth out. With all the work involved to get the ebay skins up to par(hours of prepping, sanding - this time costs money to) I would have been better off to get oem skins. If your doing alot of the prep work yourself you will save money but its alot of work. And even if you are doing the work your time is worth money aswel and you should keep that in mind.
Usually the ebay skins don't come with heat shield tape or any of the foam pieces that that oem skins come with. If I ever do this again I will save up the money and get the oem skins.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
It's not just how the holes line up, you will find that the ebay skins aren't as thick as the oem parts and alot of them have ripples in the panels. I have a new set of skins that I have painted that had ripples all thru the plastics that took alot of prep to smooth out. With all the work involved to get the ebay skins up to par(hours of prepping, sanding - this time costs money to) I would have been better off to get oem skins. If your doing alot of the prep work yourself you will save money but its alot of work. And even if you are doing the work your time is worth money aswel and you should keep that in mind.
Usually the ebay skins don't come with heat shield tape or any of the foam pieces that that oem skins come with. If I ever do this again I will save up the money and get the oem skins.
idk what ebay plastics you bought, but they generally come pre-painted. So why you were sanding and everything is beyond me.

I spent about 10 hours of work making damn sure mine were reinforced and all the holes were filed open to fit everything properly and then lining them up on the bike.
It was all worth it once I got a coat of wax on the thing.

And you can find "deals" that come with heat shield, but that stuff is cheap anyways.
And OEM skins cost 4-5 times as much.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Masta Squidge you've seen the skins that i've been working on, they were originally silver but now they have been airbrushed with world war two fighter planes in an airial battle with fire breathing dragons. When I first got them they were crap. My problem with them wasn't with the holes lining up it was all the ripples in the panels. Maybe it was just the panels I received but for me I will pay the extra money for oem skins and save myself the hassel of fixing the panels.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Masta Squidge you've seen the skins that i've been working on, they were originally silver but now they have been airbrushed with world war two fighter planes in an airial battle with fire breathing dragons. When I first got them they were crap. My problem with them wasn't with the holes lining up it was all the ripples in the panels. Maybe it was just the panels I received but for me I will pay the extra money for oem skins and save myself the hassel of fixing the panels.
Probably just yours. Mine are perfectly fine. Orange peel and shit, and the paint chips easily at the edges where I filed the holes out but otherwise they are fine.

If that orange peel is what you are referring to, well... thats normal. They arent going to spend the time wet sanding 500 dollar plastics before they clear coat it.

Hell, most cars come brand new with orange peel out the ass.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I hope you are right cause it was very frustrating fixing all the ripples in the panels. It was very noticeable in direct sunlight. I hate to see these young guys ordering these skins and finding out after spending the money that they have a ton of work to do to the skins before they can put them on the bike. I'm lucky that I have the skill to do my own work not everybody is that lucky.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
im still unclear on what you mean by ripples.

You mean like this?

Look at the reflection.... That is really light orange peel. You can really only see it in reflections. Those are my fairings without any wax or anything.

This is really BAD orange peel, either done by an idiot, or on purpose to show it.

Thats what you get when you don't wet sand paint to perfection. They will all be like that. If you wanted flawless paint, you should not have purchased pre-painted chinese fairings.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the skins before they were fixed. On the skins I got the ripples were in the plastic not the paint. As far as the paint was concerned they actually had done a great job painting them and the color was a perfect match to the silver that my bike originally came in. Even the holes lined up perfectly. It was the ripples in the plastic that ruined the whole look and thats what I had a problem with. These were the first set of ebay skins that I've ordered and I heard that they were not as good as the oem skins but I took a chance.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Thats odd indeed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much the stock ones put me down? Basically i dont "need" new ones but the previous owner of my bike let the wife drive it and she tipped it at 15 mph or somehting so the right side got scrathed and a little mangled so i have stock green and black colored tank with spray paint white fairings. the right side panel needs replace because repair would be far to extensive i think and front fairing would need sanding and added fiber glass because of lost material. And i was think hey these ebay ones arent to badly priced. I dont care if i get white skins again but i'd ranther have something with less prep work then what i got and would not like to spend 10 hours making sure ebay stuff is good to go lol

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
dont use fiberglass to fix plastic, you use plastic to fix plastic.

You literally weld the stuff, melt it and mix in ABS filler rods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a set from eBay for my CBR F4i, one of the worst mistakes ever. Shit did not line up and when I got them all on something just wasn't right looking, my buddy took care of tho, 80mph into a ditch drainage pipe did the trick.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I bought a set from eBay for my CBR F4i, one of the worst mistakes ever. Shit did not line up and when I got them all on something just wasn't right looking, my buddy took care of tho, 80mph into a ditch drainage pipe did the trick.
Chances are you just didnt take the time to get them to line up. As I said, they require a lot of work enlarging holes and shit - otherwise nothing will line up at all.

I looked up a lot of "reviews" for people who bought them for 7s, and half of them said the same thing you did, the rest said they went on fine with work, and its not like they were using a different set.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought my plastics on ebay from a seller named find5fine, and they weren't a perfect fit, but all the holes lined up. The main problem I had was fitting the front fairing. The plastics didn't pull up over the headlights perfectly but I got it to fit.

Only other issues I had were that the sides didn't have clips where they meet to form the belly pan, and the holes in the tail for the grab handles don't line up. but for $367 shipped, I can't complain

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/427540_2943439871255_1418970347_32586735_2000971244_n.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts