Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been throwing around the idea of buying a Muzzy's 998cc kit. Then I got to doing some research and found out that zzr1200's pistons are the same diameter as the Muzzy pistons (79mm) but I can't find out anything else like compression height, etc.

Also the Muzzy pistons increase compression to 13:1, if the ZZR pistons fit would the compression be around the same?

Thanks for any info in advance

·
Registered
253 Posts
MTC has a 998 piston kit that is stock compression. This is what I put in with stock cams and a ported head. 9.1's in 1/4 mile all day long. Great customer service also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MTC has a 998 piston kit that is stock compression. This is what I put in with stock cams and a ported head. 9.1's in 1/4 mile all day long. Great customer service also.
Have you had any problems out of MTC? I've heard they have problems with wrist pins or something along those lines.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would pass on both options. That compression ratio is too high for street use in my opinion unless you know the premium you are putting in has real 92 octane.

The other option, no way I would put in dissimilar pistons. Don't care about diameter matching. They are not designed for your engine.

ZX9R engines can be modified like with that Muzzy kit, but Rob Muzzy makes stuff mostly for racers. When you make the displacement larger, you also increase heat output, and usually something else fails prematurely. That block is a ZX7 block that was bored out, essentially. Making it any bigger for anything other than racing is really saying you don't care if it decreases the life of the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the 2000 and up model blocks were their own design? I'm not sure if it will work or not. I bought a set of ZZR pistons on Ebay cheap and they are EXTREMELY similar.

Compression height is 1MM taller then the 9R piston, crowns are nearly identical except the valve reliefs are .4MM deeper.

I'm going to talk to an engine builder soon and see what we can come up with. If he says it wont work I guess I'll just put the project on hold for awhile. If he says we can make it work I'll post up and let you know.

In the meantime if anybody has any info that could help post up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Talk to the guys at Orient Express or APE. Very experienced with the high performance engine parts. You might also look up Zlock Racing. Dan Zlock modified my ZR-1100 motor and he has or used to have a 950 cc kit for the ZX9R (B-C series). He is a very experienced engine builder up here in the Northwest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, just had an update for everyone. I talked to Dan Zlock and he told me what I already suspected. The diameter of the wrist pin is 1mm larger on the ZZR piston which causes it to be to large for the connecting rod.

Their are two options in this scenario. Option 1) Bore the connecting rod small end and risk weakening the integral strength. According to Dan this has to be done on a special machine and can be expensive.
Option 2) Bush the piston to accept the smaller wrist pin. This method isn't recommended because it raises problems with the wrist pin clip that holds the pin in place.

Long story short, the wrist pin is going to keep this project from working. It is possible but not cost effective. Other than that I'm pretty sure it would have worked well.

...anybody wanna buy a nice set of ZZR1200 pistons lol :grump:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts