Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a dream of Kawasaki bringing back the 2002~03 ZX-9R but rebadged as a ZZ-R900. They already made it for their 2005 ZZ-R600 (re-badged 2002 ZX-6R) and it seem very logical to me to have a 900 to fill the gap between their 900 and 1400.

Since two years, I have been e-mailing Kawasaki USA and snail mailing Kawasaki Canada (no e-mail on their website...) to tell them this would be a winner model with almost zero R&D cost or tooling cost.

I am alone to think this would be a great idea? If you think like me, please, write, beg, shout or anything you want toward Kawasaki to ask them for such a model. Hope they will wake up someday and realize they have a sleeper in their sleeves. Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
what did you like about the 900? and what is missing in the 10R?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compared to my aging ZX11, the 9 have the same power output, about 130 lbs lighter, much more nimbler and is about as comfortable.

My perception about the ZX-10R: too expensive (compared to what a rebadged ZZ-R900 would be), not enough comfort and probably not heavy enough (as I take that a part of what can make a bike stable is weight). I'm not looking for a superbike in a ZZ-R900 but for a great sport-touring platform.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think a ZZR900 would fit nicely between the 6 and the 14. I really doubt that Kawi would entertain this market here in NA.
It could sell relatively well model if they keep it cheap. Price point would have to be no more than $1000 above the ZZR600 to make it attractive, otherwise buyers would just go for the 14.
It would be a much better fit in Europe I think. :-(

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beansbaxter said:
How have the sales been in previous years of the ZZR600, ZZR1100, and ZZR1200?
Well, I'm pretty sure a ZZ-R900 will not be Kawasaki's premium seller. But for the cost (or lack of) cost involved, I think it would be a very wise idea to consider introducing this "new" model. Is there any way to "harass" Kawasaki with this idea to make them aware of this opportunity?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Claude said:
Well, I'm pretty sure a ZZ-R900 will not be Kawasaki's premium seller. But for the cost (or lack of) cost involved, I think it would be a very wise idea to consider introducing this "new" model. Is there any way to "harass" Kawasaki with this idea to make them aware of this opportunity?
extremelean would be a good start.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I for one, would buy a new zx9 ...... I think they're a great sized mid range bike........ but I still want the 10, and, well for that matter I love 1100cc.............I need a bigger shed:(

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ozzy, can you talk/write to extremelean about this? Is it a stupid rant/dream of me or does it make some sense? If stupid, I'll stop ranting... but if not, I'll do all I can to have it go

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
It does not sound stupid to me. After all, the R&D have already been done, so it's not like a new platform needs to be developed. There is nothing else in the current Kawi lineup addressing this marketed area. Sounds like it could work and Kawi could give it a good two-year run to then evaluate the situation. Of course, that is my view, who knows what other factors would be involved from Kawi's view.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to know I'm not alone to think that way. Now, what can be done to have Kawasaki thinking the same ???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bring back the mighty ZX-9R!!!!!

Hi Guys, I have been a member of bikeland.org but I had not found some decent place to post my messages for the ZX-9R.
As a previous ZX-9R owner (ZX900 B1) & (ZX900 F1), I must admit that my biggest mistake was selling my last ZX-9R (F1 model) which I had bought brand-new!
I now see that Kawasaki is re-marketing the 2000-02 ZX-6R as ZZR600 in the US market and I think I am not the only one thinking it is more than "piece of cake" re-producing a line of ZX900 F1 models as ZZ-R 900 ( I think the most wise is to put back in production the latest 9R which had all issues/problems solved).
A very good (with the latest standards) sport-touring bike that can put up with the latest ZX-10R if you are a bit of a racer. More stable at high speeds, comfier riding position and a very powerful engine (see Z1000).
I am searching in e-bay for many months now to find a decent F1 model, but I would DEFINITELY buy 2 or 3 (YES, I am not telling BULL!!!) of them if Kawasaki was re-manufacturing them, even under the "ZZ-R" badge. Name doesn't make any change for the bike quality/qualifications.
Remember that most of us need an all around sportsbike for everyday moving and relaxed trips. ZX-6R is not enough for long-distance trips(cc, bike size,pure track-tool), ZX-10R is too much (power,little size) for many mid-level riders and ZZ-R 1400 is TOO MUCH in every aspect.
Kawasaki Production, God, ANYONE here in Europe and in the USA, PLEASE make again a ZX-9R, or a (ZZ-R 900) !!! I can see a lot of previous ZX-9R owners selling their ZX-10R's or GSXR 1000 K5 to get back what they loved and enjoyed MOST of ALL. The MIGHTY NINJA ZX-9R!!!
We know you can. Your (flexible) factory production line in Japan is able to do it...

Amen,
falcon030gr
(PROUD owner of KLR 650 C SM)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am serious!!!! Count me in for 2 pieces!!! At least.

I still hope dreams can come true. A brand-new ZX-9R on the street would make other super-sport bikes seem like.........125cc. Best combination of size,ride position and weight for the street. And much "space" for aftermarket engine improvements that make the bike last and not .....crack.

Best Regards and wishes for the new year to all Kawasaki people on earth.

falcon030gr

·
Registered
23 Posts
The ZX9 was a very poor seller for Kawasaki. I was working at the dealership in 2000-2001. We were practically giving them away. I see them for sale all the time here in CT. The ZZR6 is nothing like the original ZX6R. They have put many cheaper components on the new 6 to keep costs down and weight is up considerably for this same reason. Read the reviews and find a good used ZX9 and don't let it go. The parts are plentiful for these bikes so fixing an old one is worth it. The 98-99, 00-03 can still use the Muzzy big bore kit. That will get you in the range of 155whp. Suspension needs to upgraded along with brakes in the way of Galfers wave rotors and then you can have a very comfy sport tourer that will be a world class sport bike. Just dont forget the Corbin seat without the welts and a double bubble windscreen

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will agree with you, Peregrine, for the "poor seller" point. But, is ZZR 250 (US "Ninja 250R/500R') a hot seller? Are bikes 20 years old 'hot sellers'? Come on! Kawasaki SHOULD KEEP THIS bike into production. As we all know, they built the bikes accordingly to what international orders they have and that they don't have a certain number of produced pieces/model. If it was 'outdated', why are they using zx9 parts for the 'up-to-date' Z1000 motor ? Kawasaki should know that there are many riders that want to do 'super sport' riding plus some more. Bikes like the current ZX-6R/10R mean nothing to them because they are USELESS. No fairing coverage, no space for a 2nd rider and no comfort riding position. Only for the track. Plus, a serious company like Kawasaki simply CAN NOT have a Super Sport category with 2 models only for offer(the zx1400 is not supersport). Look for instance that the GSXR 1000K7 weighs 6 kg more and it is not the catalyst in the mufflers. ZX10R '06/'07 have a wider front fairing for wind protection...Kawasaki tried to follow the trends of the market for smaller/lighter machines ,they may have earned a larger 'piece of the pie' and they have done well! But their bikes are not as they once were. I can definitely say that the ZX-9R was better from the today's 1000cc bikes in terms of 'behaviour' and 'engine endurance'. Especially, the ZX900 F1 (which I owned) had eliminated all the previous problems zx9 had. They can re-manufacture a ZX-9R again, most likely under the ZZ-R badge, who cares? The parts' stock is there, no development costs are involved and no further research has to be done. Why not do so? I bet many people will buy one because they are frustrated with the current '1000cc' war going out there and that soon is going to end.

Best Regards,
falcon030gr

·
Registered
13 Posts
And many thanks to Claude for bringing up the matter of the ZX900 F1/2. See??? We are not alone....I bet many others would agree.

Stay Kawasaki.

·
Registered
23 Posts
F1-F2 what years were they? 02/03? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see them bring back the ZX-9, but with the new concours they may worry about taking away from it. I would be really upset if they brought it back heavier and with cheaper components

·
Registered
13 Posts
No problem for the comments, man. That's why forums exist. And Yes, you are 100% right. ZX900 F1(2002) and ZX900 F2 (2003). The best 9R ever made. Ideal weight/dimensions and power for the street!
Allow me to say that the new Concours (GTR-14) is pure Touring category due to weight dimensions and displacement, no way it is the same in handling with ZX-9R. As far as it concerns cheaper (and heavier?) components, I think that Kawasaki wouldn't afford to do such a thing(e.g. change the magnesium parts with std ones? Naaah...).
They should come up with a bike that is -at least- THE SAME IF NOT BETTER and improved. And now that we are talking for improvements : Injection bodies, a better rear suspension, USD forks, new turn signals and radial brakes from Z1000 should make a 'hot seller' on a relatively low price.
And keep the rest of the bike as it is. It's magnificent (remember the 3-color scheme on the F1 model) . It would easily make a category of its own: "Dual Purpose Super Sport"!!! I wonder if someone from Kawasaki reads any of these posts. We are giving them ideas! What are they doing about it???

Best Regards,
falcon030gr

Stay Kawasaki.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there anyone reading this post ? How can we convince "mother Kawasaki" there in Japan to bring an 'updated' ZX-9R for the masses??? Count me in for 2, maybe 3...

Stay Kawasaki.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree! Would LOVE to see a new ZX-9R (I own a '00) and I also would not hesitate to purchase a new 9R. And all my buddies that I ride with have said that they would take it over a GXSR 750-1000 due to handling, comfort, and pure fun value. Sold an R1 (which my 9R buries) to get it, and that was not a decision I regret- I love my baby!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts