Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys can relate to this....i was 18 when the 1992 model was brand new and ended up getting the ZX7R (1996 model) a few years later....so i grew up in the 90's Superbike era, for some, the "golden age" of superbikes....back then the GSXR's looked mean ( SACS's version from 1991 still look cool in my book...)...YZF's 750 were sharp handling tools, ZXR's were the nutter's choice, hard revvers...and 750's were the top-of-the-line for any brand....race machines adapted for road use....not road bikes adapted for racing.

Large fairings that gave real protection, noisy engines and airboxes that made your heart race as the revs rose when you exited a corner and gave it the beans....badass looks that made heads turn and had you admiring those same agressive lines when you finally sat at the end of a days riding with your best mates at the local pub, while having a cold one and talking about which one was faster....

This is what a 90's superbike means for me, specially the one you see below....every time i take it for a spin it never fails to leave me with a smile when i park it...can't wait for the next time i get on it....

By sbravo73

By sbravo73

By sbravo73

By sbravo73

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Golden Era indeed. I love the ZX-7R.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I hope to some day start a 90's sportbike collection. Already have a 93 ZX7, would buy a 93 or 94 CBR900rr, a 91-95 GSXR750, and a Ducati 916.:crazyloco

·
Registered
18 Posts
91-95 ZX7s were undoubtedly some of the best looking bikes made. To date. The front fairing was destinctive and just beautiful. Tail fairing was just right in shape and proportion.

I'm still sad I had to sell my completely rebuilt 93 and 94 ZX7's recently due to space issues. Had to make a choice but still have my 92 FZR1000, 93 VFR750, 2001 ZX7R. Couldn't sell the 01 7R as easily as the 93 and 94 so kept it. got a bunch of low ballers on the 01 ZX7R but the 93 and 94, not even haggled, first callers came, plopped down cash and rode off with a big arse smile.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hear ya. Owned one in my 20's and now in my late 30's I'm building another one just the way I wanted it in my 20's :) Love the looks of the 92/92 J1/K1 models only. The later ram air models don't do anything for me, they nailed it on the J, first upside down forks, dedicated beam frame, definiately race inspired rear shock (waaay too hard for road riding) and cast centre for the swingarm. The riding position is pure race and you know it just sitting on it in the shed on the paddock stand :)

That colour was standard in Aus :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
91-95 ZX7s were undoubtedly some of the best looking bikes made. To date. The front fairing was destinctive and just beautiful. Tail fairing was just right in shape and proportion.

I'm still sad I had to sell my completely rebuilt 93 and 94 ZX7's recently due to space issues. Had to make a choice but still have my 92 FZR1000, 93 VFR750, 2001 ZX7R. Couldn't sell the 01 7R as easily as the 93 and 94 so kept it. got a bunch of low ballers on the 01 ZX7R but the 93 and 94, not even haggled, first callers came, plopped down cash and rode off with a big arse smile.

These older bikes had character, were visually distinctive and had that "extra something" which would make us smile in anticipation just by sitting on it... nowadays they offer zero wind protection....they're made for jockey sized riders....and lost the rear ( just have a look at a current CBR 1000 R Fireblade....)...i also used to have a 96 model, but just by sitting on the 92 version (let alone riding it...) i know that this particular model has a racing DNA not found on many bikes and it will let you know it.

I hear ya. Owned one in my 20's and now in my late 30's I'm building another one just the way I wanted it in my 20's :) Love the looks of the 92/92 J1/K1 models only. The later ram air models don't do anything for me, they nailed it on the J, first upside down forks, dedicated beam frame, definiately race inspired rear shock (waaay too hard for road riding) and cast centre for the swingarm. The riding position is pure race and you know it just sitting on it in the shed on the paddock stand :)

That colour was standard in Aus :)

The rear shock is hard, and the front doesn't fall that much behind it, i can feel when the BT-016's rear and front (Hypersport version in the front) aren't gripping properly (usually when cold only...) and i can "feel" every bit of road through the suspension, which is a nod towards safer riding in my book.

Like you, of all ZX7 versions, i find the J/K's the best looking of the lot and as far as riding is concerned, it sure feel's (and is...) lighter than the 96 and take less effort to move it around....in Portugal we also had the same blue version as yours and it's absolutely stunning to see in person...that colour just pops !

·
Registered
143 Posts
These older bikes had character, were visually distinctive and had that "extra something" which would make us smile in anticipation just by sitting on it... nowadays they offer zero wind protection....they're made for jockey sized riders....and lost the rear ( just have a look at a current CBR 1000 R Fireblade....)...i also used to have a 96 model, but just by sitting on the 92 version (let alone riding it...) i know that this particular model has a racing DNA not found on many bikes and it will let you know it.

The rear shock is hard, and the front doesn't fall that much behind it, i can feel when the BT-016's rear and front (Hypersport version in the front) aren't gripping properly (usually when cold only...) and i can "feel" every bit of road through the suspension, which is a nod towards safer riding in my book.

Like you, of all ZX7 versions, i find the J/K's the best looking of the lot and as far as riding is concerned, it sure feel's (and is...) lighter than the 96 and take less effort to move it around....in Portugal we also had the same blue version as yours and it's absolutely stunning to see in person...that colour just pops !
Yeah I couldn't keep off mine :) I rode it from Kalgoorlie to Perth at a distance of around 600kms regularly even with the hard rear end skipping my CD walkman (yep was waaayy before MP3 players lol). Best time I did was 4 hours 10 minutes with 3 re-fueling stops. Man that was a great bike!!!

Yours looks like a J1 with the K1 tail? CVK carbs and not flatslides?

Can you still buy the plastic panels in Portugal? I think the US has them available but only in the red colour.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I used to have one like your's...here's a photo from when i knew what i was doing...sort of.... :smile

By sbravo73
Backroad Bomber! Nice shot!

A little crossed up on the body position but I'm not hatin'. Looks great man!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
nowadays they offer zero wind protection....they're made for jockey sized riders....and lost the rear ( just have a look at a current CBR 1000 R Fireblade....)...
Yeah, I hate that about the newer bikes that there's practically no tail section.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I couldn't keep off mine :) I rode it from Kalgoorlie to Perth at a distance of around 600kms regularly even with the hard rear end skipping my CD walkman (yep was waaayy before MP3 players lol). Best time I did was 4 hours 10 minutes with 3 re-fueling stops. Man that was a great bike!!!

Yours looks like a J1 with the K1 tail? CVK carbs and not flatslides?

Can you still buy the plastic panels in Portugal? I think the US has them available but only in the red colour.
Walkman...i also had one of those...they used those strange things called music tapes ! :smile

You're right, mine is a J2 with K tail section ( very hard to find....), K sub-frame and standard carbs. I don't think i'd like to ride flatsides other than on the track and this one, won't go near one...

As far as plastics are concerned there is nowhere i know of that might sell them, you either get a bike in good condition like i did or have to get them rebuilt / repainted...mine have a few cracks and scratches here and there but those will eventually be adressed.

Backroad Bomber! Nice shot!

A little crossed up on the body position but I'm not hatin'. Looks great man!
It's one of very few taken back in 97/99, way before the digital boom...nice road with decent grip, i even scraped the right peg once on the following corner when using Metzeler Z1's....loved those....

Here's another from somewhere near that same road...no actual ability on my part, just dumping the clutch in 1st.....wheelies were never easy for me, but i tried....

By sbravo73

:monkeyup

I just rubbed one out... damn that bike looks soooooo nice... after my new duc i want a ZXR750
LOL.....get one while there are still some around ( in one piece and in original state.)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I hope to some day start a 90's sportbike collection. Already have a 93 ZX7, would buy a 93 or 94 CBR900rr, a 91-95 GSXR750, and a Ducati 916.:crazyloco
Don't do it! Seriously, I love all those bikes but it's a bitch to keep them all running. My collection so far
93 ZX7
[/url][/IMG]
2000 748 with a FbF 853 kit
[/url][/IMG]
96 900RR
[/url][/IMG]
I'm currently looking for the right 88-92 GSXR

·
Registered
224 Posts
wow nice looking bikes AZX but i feel ya on keeping them running i have 07 ZX6 and 01 ZX7 get pricey at times lol but i love them

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah that sounds and looks sweet. Idles a little high but still really thumpy :)

Cheers for that :thumbup
Thanks ! The idle is set at 1.000 rpm, lower than that and the bike feels like it's going to stall.... :smile

1 - 20 of 22 Posts