Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently got kawasaki zxr 400 (1992) and it was always bit slow to start. I haven't ridden for 2 weeks and now it's not starting. I recharged the battery and it sounded bit stronger, but still wouldn't fire up. It sometimes tried to start and stays on for split second, but won't stay on. Yesterday I got one loud pop from the exhaust. What could I do? I'm really noob when it comes to mechanical stuff.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you using choke? Along with jumping from a non-running vehicle, it should be light enough to try and push start as well. Turn ignition on and choke, push it/have someone push you/go down a hill and pop it into second gear, then release the clutch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The choke doesn't do anything, but the last owner made some cable which is hanging from right side and by twisting it, I can adjust the idle RPM

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'd say a carb clean and balance is in order. Are you able to test the battery? Might need that replaced too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery seems fine but yeah I would guess it's the carbs. That's something I can't do myself though :/ I wonder how expensive it would be for someone to clean them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if I could change the spark plugs myself, but I haven't found a proper guide for my bike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little update: Today I charged the battery once again, but this time it took bit longer, I don't know why, maybe the battery got more voltage than usually? Anyway now I got it fired up and instantly as it turned on I gave it gas so it wouldn't die out, because it would otherwise with cold engine. Once it got warm, it just stays on nicely. So that's nice. So could it still been just the battery?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The choke doesn't do anything, but the last owner made some cable which is hanging from right side and by twisting it, I can adjust the idle RPM
Seems like you have a few different things going on. When you say the choke doesn’t do anything, do you mean it’s broken or it doesn’t affect idle speed? And that cable you mention...the last owner made it? Because every bike I’ve ever owned has had one to adjust idle speed; pretty sure all carbed bikes have one. Are you saying it’s not the stock cable?

Giving your location might be helpful, maybe someone local can come check it out and possibly shed some light on the problem(s).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh they made those cables from the factory? I thought only my bike had it. I used to have enduro bike before and it didn't have that cable. Yeah the choke does not affect idle speed, no matter in which position it is. I live in Finland so I really doubt any locals here. Would be great if here was though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you get a new battery when you bought it?? If not go get one. Agm if possible. Check to see if choke cable is actually functioning. You may need a alternator/rectifier rebuild.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get a new battery when you bought it?? If not go get one. Agm if possible. Check to see if choke cable is actually functioning. You may need a alternator/rectifier rebuild.
Yeah I already took the old battery out. The bike is under a cover now, for the winter. I will get good agm battery for it when the spring comes. Hopefully it will be enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Kuski,
just a thought....water in carbs/fuel system? Water in fueltank prevents bike from starting. Of possible at least drain the float bowls to get fresh fuel in them.
My ex-Triumph Tiger (T400) had water in fuel several times. Really annoying thing to happen when you’re all geared up for a nice ride :(

About batteries, they can show full voltage, but might lack the starting power (Amps).
I had Motobatt battery in my Tiger which was 2 Ah greater than original. The starter gear can be damaged when using weak battery for starting.

As you might have noticed I am also from Finland :) and live in Kouvola.
Very nice bike that ZXR 400, I was thinking of getting one but found it too small for me ;)

Cheers,
Tommi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello Kuski,
just a thought....water in carbs/fuel system? Water in fueltank prevents bike from starting. Of possible at least drain the float bowls to get fresh fuel in them.
My ex-Triumph Tiger (T400) had water in fuel several times. Really annoying thing to happen when you’re all geared up for a nice ride :(

About batteries, they can show full voltage, but might lack the starting power (Amps).
I had Motobatt battery in my Tiger which was 2 Ah greater than original. The starter gear can be damaged when using weak battery for starting.

As you might have noticed I am also from Finland :) and live in Kouvola.
Very nice bike that ZXR 400, I was thinking of getting one but found it too small for me ;)

Cheers,
Tommi
Hi, thanks :). I will first try new battery in the springtime. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I will check if the fuel has water in it. I have zxr 400 as A2 bike actually ^^. I live in Vantaa btw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts