Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've just bought my first Kawasaki and am now the proud owner of a ZX9R (C2) and am need of some new rubber. I've had a look over the forums and haven't seen anyone previously ask about tyres. (Apologies if I've over looked a thread.)

I believe the rear tyre is 180/55 x 17 and the front is 120/70 x 17.

Can anyone recommend some good quality rubber?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. As far as new tires I would consider your riding style. Are you commuting? If your commuting and want a tire that will last a bit longer look into conti motion. It's a great tire with plenty of grip in the curves and is fairly inexpensive. I have seen them on eBay 187$ for both tires. I used them last yr and put roughly 7k miles on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. My bike is more my weekend toy, although I will be doing some commuting on it. That said, the roads to my place of work are fairly twisty so I shouldn't be doing too many motorway/freeway miles on them :smile

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey, congrats on the ride! I use my 9r for everything, commuting to work, traveling and hard corner carving. I was running a set of dunlop q2's for the last two summers. they worked well, but they didnt give me much for confidence in the corners. I just bought a set of metzler m3's, what a great tire! i've put roughly 1k miles on them so far, they dont show a bit of wear yet, they ride smooth and quiet, they hold the corners awesome! my corner speeds have increased drastically. Im very glad i went with the m3's this time, going to be my first choice from now on. I bought the set through motorcycle-superstore.com for $250 with free shipping. but thats just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's.
If you are going to be commuting and doing some distance riding on a highway or just straight line riding in general IMO these are the way to go for longevity and they are still good and sticky in the corners.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's.
If you are going to be commuting and doing some distance riding on a highway or just straight line riding in general IMO these are the way to go for longevity and they are still good and sticky in the corners.
I fully agree with TheBrown, but would still look at Bridges, I do like them a lot too !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Peter

I have a couple of 9r's, a 98 and an 02, they have dunlop qualifiers and bridgestone bt016 respectivly. They're both nice tyres, have tried pretty much all of them and for the summer I would recomend either of these, is nothing in them but as the summer's coming to the end I would recomend a set of metzler z6's. This depends on what you use your bike for but if like me you use daily in all weather these are the ones to go for. Have been a motorcycle courier for 20 years so I have been through a lot of rubber. I kind of base these tyres as wets as in the rain There is nothing like them. There are much nicer tyres out there if your living somewhere nice and warm, and dry, but for uk roads out of season these are what go on my bikes. definatly worth a look at in the uk at this time of year. So if you want scrape your pegs in the wet without sliding on your arse I would give these a go. They usually last a good while too but I do onlyy use the over the winter. Come spring they go for something a bit softer.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Awesome article Clark! That's a good read.

I see the Michelin 2CT's faired okay, but I don't run any of the tires listed in the comparison. Maybe I'm just not that good. :evil

OP should consider something for dry/wet grip too.

IMO I feel most at home on the Michelin PP single compound. I get a little over 4K off a front and 6K off a rear and very pleased with grip and control. So much so, I have six sets of them in storage. Ride mostly dry conditions. Wet only because I get caught in it. Tire wears evenly or can be scrubbed in the corners to even up. I can confidently drag knees on both sides while canyon carving. Only starts to move around under me during excessive cornering speeds, hard braking or hard acceleration coming out of corners; things I shouldn't be doing on the street anyway.

I've tried many of the other brands, Bridgestone Batlax mostly. Their rear BT-021 was a good dual sport - sport riding tire that usually lasted ~7,000 miles, but the front BT-021 was like plastic. No no no no. Don't like that tire. The BT-016 was better, but wore out too quickly, always ended up looking like a V and went off badly in grip near the end of its life. I hated the Dunlop Q2s. One set and I was done. What ever happened to them? Bad imbalance in the tire and it wore like the BT-016. Short life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts