Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 zx9r and want it togo faster........like turbo...who makes one for this and do i have to do anything else to the engine to make it work safely

just want more power......want to put on a 240 or 300 wide kit anyone sell these kits for it i cant find anyone

·
Registered
20 Posts
"Mr. Turbo"(Terry Kieser) in Houston, Tx makes a complete turbo kit for the zx-9. It's Kinda expensive though, around $5,000. I believe the web sight is mrturbo.com

·
Registered
432 Posts
You just can't 'bolt on' a turbo. Pistons will have to be changed to a set providing lower cr..probably on the order of 6:1 or 6.5:1. Anything higer than that will put the motor at risk of serious damage. The camshafts would have to ge changed as well to aa turbo specific set.

The $5,000 kit provides all parts needed..but don't forget the labour cost. If I were doing the job my charge would be around $2,500. Consider this...for $7,500 and your bike you could just buy a ZX10R...which would be a far wiser decision on your part. Turbo modifications are disasters waiting to happen...and given enough time, they WILL explode.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You just can't 'bolt on' a turbo. Pistons will have to be changed to a set providing lower cr..probably on the order of 6:1 or 6.5:1. Anything higer than that will put the motor at risk of serious damage. The camshafts would have to ge changed as well to aa turbo specific set.

The $5,000 kit provides all parts needed..but don't forget the labour cost. If I were doing the job my charge would be around $2,500. Consider this...for $7,500 and your bike you could just buy a ZX10R...which would be a far wiser decision on your part. Turbo modifications are disasters waiting to happen...and given enough time, they WILL explode.

I disagree.
Turbo pistons are generally 8.7 to 1 compression or 9 to 1. Many people use stock cams because turbos don't require a radical cam. You can safely put a turbo on an engine as long as you don't use a lot of boost. In the video the guy claimed 6.7 psi. I'm sure thats within the safe range for stock components. I'm building a turbo bike and plan on running 15+ psi of boost. For that I'll need low compression pistons. I also don't agree that a turbo is a disaster waiting to happen. Unlike high compression big cam engines, that feel that extra load with every revolution of the crank, the turbo motor only feels increased load when you twist the throttle and build up boost. You can drive easy and not boost it and it will still wear itself and consume fuel like a stock motor. Then when you want the power you can twist the throttle and here it comes. Thats my opinion but I'm a turbo lover and thus not impartial.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My experience with dedicated turbo motors has proven otherwise. My own R5Turbo race car ran 1.1 bar boost with large intercooler and cr was 6.5:1. Stage II, with 2.0 bar & 7:1 cr required a much thicker section liquid & air intercooler, forged connecting rods & pistons as well as chromoloy liners. Either way, a purpose built turbo motor requires different cam timing and overlap.

Trust me, I've blown more than one motor at Road America while under full boost coming out of 14 in 90f temps. It ain't a pretty sight.

Sure, one can do a 'bolt-on' if they run with low boost..0.3 or so with 0.5-7 bar being the upper limit. You can do it..but it's not the wisest thing if long term reliability is of any concern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts