Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, stupid stupid question. I decided to get closer to my bike and change the oil, got the oil out... everything going good, then I unscrewed the oil filter then PROBLEM. There is not enough space for the oil filter to come out of the small cave area under the headers. Last owner said it's a bit of a trick to shimmy the oil filter out but I was wondering if any one else have an idea or a opinion, maybe a site that will show how to slide the oil filter out. I've tried for about an hour and couldnt find a way, oil is all over the header and everything and I need this oil filter out!!!

Oh, it's a 1997 Kawi zx9r

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thought. You may have to remove the oil cooler to gain clearance. Washers and "o" rings may also need replacing

gammac

·
Registered
582 Posts
Further from the B1-B4 manual :

Remove left lower fairing

Oil pipe flange bolt near the base of the filter and the oil pipe

Remove oil filter with wrench

Replace filter hand tight 3/4 turn or tension 87 in/lbs

Put oil on the oilpipe "o" ring (or renew)
and tighten the oilpipe flange bolt 87 in/lbs

Sorry no pics

gammac

·
Registered
462 Posts
The first time I did it I thought I had to take off the exhaust, but now I know you can just remove the fairing and get it out. If you don't have a wrench big enough or one of those rubber belt clamp you can use one of those small rubber pads that they make for kitchen use to remove stubborn lids and caps.

Just my two cents...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts