Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this 97 zx9r with 17,000 miles but the guy I brought it from said engine was replace with one that had 6,000. Any who I was told it needed a new diaphragm and battery. I went and got both and a new fuel pump. Now the fuel pump wire were all jacked up and I plan on rewiring them with some crimps. It has a K&N air fliter and a full muzzy exshaust system. He told me that he never Rejeted his carb or synced it with the mods. It runs good over 3pms and up but when it's below that it seems hasatint and when it idles it seems like it wants to cut off some I keep it reved at idle so it does not. My question is will a new jet kit fix this problem? Or does it need somthing else? Brand new plugs were just put in plan on changing the oil soon.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
No, tuning the jet kit properly will fix the problem. Sounds like its lean off-idle, an issue with either the pilot (slow) jet circuit dirty or lean or the needle position too low resulting in too lean. And are you sure the new diagram is seated right? You should see all 4 slides flutter when you blip the throttle looking into the carbs with the airbox off. If 1 or all aren't moving the bike will struggle to make power.

I can't take credit for this link, courtesy of e1:
http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Easiest check:
double check your diagrams by blipping the throttle
Ive been 100% successful seating my boots like the pictures. Flip the diagram down and seat while making sure the needle is in the emulsion tube. Using your free hand to hold the slide up (through the aibox side) while you replace and screw down the cap. My 98 makes a vaccum *wheeze* sound when the slide falls letting me know it's right.

Easy check:
shim up your needles, if adjustable, by 1 notch. I've played with mine and got a similar symptom by having them too low.

Time consuming:
clean your pilot circuit. More time buy don't shy away from it.

And sync those carbs!

This is assuming the jetting is close (at least set to the manufacturers baseline) and you dont have to step through entire procedure in the link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts