Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

ZX9R gearbox probs

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  fast911ray 
#1 ·
Hiya people,

Had my ZX9R c1 1998 25000 miles for around 2 months now. Its been running lovely with no probs until yesterday.

Started having problems getting into 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Will not go in on the first push but will always go in on the second go. No funny noises or anything, when it fails to go in it just stays in the gear it was already in (does not go between gears). Sometimes in can go a few times up and down the gearbox with no probs at all. Changing down is never a problem.

have read other posts, and therefore checked clutch and pivot point on foot peg, all correct and working. I have read the dreaded gearbox probs!

Come on people share your experiences what do you think has happened to me old girl. Anyone think it could just be the clutch or gearbox rebuild?

cheers Leon

#2 ·
I can't see how the clutch would be involved here. My intuition suggest ssomething in the selector mechanism..perhaps the selector drum's grooves are badly worn..and/or possibly the affected gear's fork guide pins are worn as well. Have you checked the oil for signs of a powdery bronze material?..which would support my suspicions. A weak return spring is another, but remote, possiblity.

Good luck..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.