Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Does anyone know the actual top speed of the 9R? My 2003 indicates >180mph, but I have never had it to the limiter in 6th due to needing more road. I am told that there is a lot of speedo error in that range. Has anyone tried with a GPS on board? Mine has OEM sprockets. Is it drag or gearing limited?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
:laugh3: on what planet? The Kawasaki Gpz 750 turbo hit 151 mph in 84. Vfr1000 did in 85. Any literbike from late 80s hit 160, and the zx10 hit an even 170 in 88. Zx11 hit 175 in 91. 9R didn’t come out until 94.
Ah, good catch on the fact check!!!!

It wasn't the first to 150mph. It was the first production bike to do a sub 10 second quarter mile and it ran a 9.99 in 1998.

I knew it did something special I just got mixed up on my facts. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know the actual top speed of the 9R? My 2003 indicates >180mph, but I have never had it to the limiter in 6th due to needing more road. I am told that there is a lot of speedo error in that range. Has anyone tried with a GPS on board? Mine has OEM sprockets. Is it drag or gearing limited?
Fastest stock 9R speed I’ve seen was an actual 168. Probably drag limited at that point. Not enough hp.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well mine has bolt-ons and is jetted, but that would put my speedo way off. I have not hit an aero limiter yet. Can't remember what rpm I got to in 6th. Can't really look at those speeds!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well mine has bolt-ons and is jetted, but that would put my speedo way off. I have not hit an aero limiter yet. Can't remember what rpm I got to in 6th. Can't really look at those speeds!
Speedo reading 180 would be about 165-168 actual factoring in 6-8% error.
At those speeds, it takes huge jumps in power to get 2-3 more mph.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts