Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Braking - Superb Braking with EBC Brake Pads. I found myself braking earlier than necessary on corner entries. 9 out of 10

Acceleration - 7 out of 10. It might have something to do with my size (230lbs butt naked), but it was a tad sluggish off the corners. I think the BMC Filter is choking it.

Carburetion - 9 out of 10. It's a little abrupt in 2nd gear corners. It'll take some care if you're scrubbing in new tires like I was but otherwise it's sowing machine smooth.

Handling - 8.5 out of 10. This bike is very sensitive to tire choice. It was sluggish with the Pirelli. With the Dunlop Q4, it just fell into corners nicely. It's a very neutral handling bike and does everything effectively well but nothing exceptional. My ZX7R front end inspires more confidence but the 9R isn't deficient by any means.

Suspension - 8 out of 10 - Get a baseline setup done for your sag and keep the reb/comp in the middle of the range. No need to bother with it. Even though it is dated, it flat out works.

Power - 6 out of 10 - If this bike made a genuine 140+hp I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Servicing - 7.5 out of 10. You really need to know carbs but otherwise, relatively easy for old heads like me.

How to get more out of the Bike:
- Race Fuel for another 6-8hp
- Rearsets - to stop my toes from dragging
- Tires - The Q4s were superb but this thing would work even better with some Michelin slicks
- Possibly a bigger intake cam but I think you'd lose some of the around-town smoothness

Same Corner (ZX7R on Saturday; ZX9R on Sunday)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Reactions: keepitgreen

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well done!:high5:
Thanks man.

There's so much life left in these 'old' Kawi's. It's a shame that everyone is chasing the latest and greatest when these bikes can hang with pretty much everything out there up until you are the front of the Racer group or club racing for trophies.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm switching from the BMC air filter to the K&N. The K&N appears to have much more filtration area than the BMC that I bought. I also bought a +4 ignition advancer plate, and I will be changing the oil to 300v 5w30.

I will probably run it again in a couple of weeks with the K&N, ignition advancer, and a quality oxygenated race fuel. The bike should put out a genuine 140hp with these mods.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I always thought the stock filter performed just as good if not better than an aftermarket unit, is that not the case on the 9’s?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always thought the stock filter performed just as good if not better than an aftermarket unit, is that not the case on the 9’s?
I always heard that about the 7s. I won't be back at the dyno until some time in October so I won't be able to verify anytime soon. I could certainly speculate that your statement is true when referring to the BMC filter. The BMC has a smaller square filtration area vs. stock and also vs. the K&N. No bueno.

I'm going to run the K&N just to avoid getting foam sucked into the motor. Or possibly, for the track days where I need a couple of extra HP I'll just run the screen that enshrouds the stock foam filter.

·
6,623 Posts
I know where there is a 98 Race head with beryllium seats prepped by Muzzy with Muzzy cams, ti valves, 2mm over race pistons are. If you swap in an 03 Ninja 1000 harness/CDI, run Connie 14 throttle bodies that engine is VERY easy to fuel inject. I am sure there would be a little trickery fitting the airbox, but not horrible. Unfortunately, only the 98-99 head has a Cam Position Sensor, but the head is a direct swap. My 98 that had the race engine that used that head, cams and pistons made 156 RWHP on race fuel. The pistons are new but missing the rings. They are JE pistons, so it cannot be hard to get more. I always wanted to fuel inject my 98 before I sold it, but I had too many other projects going on.

One other thing to consider is most of the teams swapped a ZX7 swingarm on the ZX9R to shorten the wheelbase. A 92 J swingarm would be nice and light. I also have the race linkage the Kinko's team used on my 98 if you want a linkage setup.

PM me if interested in any of this.

I still need to get going on the headers we discussed, but that is on another thread.

·
6,623 Posts
Is that a Micron Serpent exhaust? I had one of those on my ZX12R. BadAss if it is. Too bad making that exhaust bankrupted them.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know where there is a 98 Race head with beryllium seats prepped by Muzzy with Muzzy cams, ti valves, 2mm over race pistons are. If you swap in an 03 Ninja 1000 harness/CDI, run Connie 14 throttle bodies that engine is VERY easy to fuel inject. I am sure there would be a little trickery fitting the airbox, but not horrible. Unfortunately, only the 98-99 head has a Cam Position Sensor, but the head is a direct swap. My 98 that had the race engine that used that head, cams and pistons made 156 RWHP on race fuel. The pistons are new but missing the rings. They are JE pistons, so it cannot be hard to get more. I always wanted to fuel inject my 98 before I sold it, but I had too many other projects going on.

One other thing to consider is most of the teams swapped a ZX7 swingarm on the ZX9R to shorten the wheelbase. A 92 J swingarm would be nice and light. I also have the race linkage the Kinko's team used on my 98 if you want a linkage setup.

PM me if interested in any of this.

I still need to get going on the headers we discussed, but that is on another thread.
Thanks man. Yeah, a part of me wants to get the most out of this bike but to be honest, the whole process of building a motor is time consuming and with a 6mo old in the house I just won't have the time anytime soon. lol

I wouldn't mind dropping in a bigger intake cam but I know that will lead to other things...... springs, valve retainers, porting, etc. At the track this past weekend and in one of my videos posted, I accidentally downshifted instead of upshifting after a GP Shift Brain fart. Had I been running race tolerances I would've blown that engine. Lol. For once, I was actually glad my engine was stock.

I think a solid 140hp is acceptable for this bike and I'll probably hit it after the next round of mods that are on the way. I don't think I want to chase the last 15-20hp. My MV has about 146-150 depending on the weather and the H2-for-the-love-of-God has 270hp at the wheel. So for me I think the ZX9R just occupies a place where I can just get on a bike and be comfortable right away while going fast. Whearas the MV is hard to ride and the H2 is just down-right scary.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that a Micron Serpent exhaust? I had one of those on my ZX12R. BadAss if it is. Too bad making that exhaust bankrupted them.
Believe it or not I haven't had the bodywork off yet. lol I'll be going into the bike next week to change out the coolant for engine ice and to change the oil to something more suited to racing and horsepower.

I don't think it's a serpent system though. If it is I'm gonna be elated because I've always wanted one of those hydro-formed systems.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How does the 9R compare to the 7R at the track?
Well, I have a '02 ZX7R with no motor work and a track 779 with all the bells and whistles. As far as the '02 is concerned, I think the ZX9R is better everywhere with the exception of mid corner stability and that is where the ZX7R excels. The ZX9R is faster accelerating out of corners, has a higher top speed, has better brakes, and is lighter weight all around. The ZX7R allows you to carry comparable corner speed because of its stability. Also, the ZX9R is the more comfortable bike of the two.

Jumping off my 779RR, that bike beats the ZX9R everywhere except for comfort and acceleration. But honestly, with 123+ hp at the wheel the 779RR is not far behind the 9 at all. The 779RR has a more rigid chassis with my Race Tech fork internals and Penske rear shock. It turns in sharper than the ZX9R and actually makes the ZX9R feel "soft-ish" after riding them back to back. Between these two bikes it really is a matter of 'pick your poison'. The 779RR has better brakes with steel braided lines, racing brake fluid, and the Accossato Brake Master Cylinder. With that said, the 9R brakes are very good. So good in fact that I didn't feel pressed about not installing the braided lines that I bought for it this season. For a stock bike, the ZX9R brakes are among the best that I've ever ridden, so long as you have good pads. Both ZX7Rs have a racier position than the ZX9R.

If a person was in the market with $4,000 and they were stuck between picking the two I would tell them this:

1) If you're riding highways with friends on faster bikes like 1000cc, get the ZX9R.
2) If you're riding highways with friends on 600cc, get the ZX7R
3) If you're into the ZX7R racing heritage, get the ZX7R
4) If you're looking for an 'around-town' bike, get the ZX9R
5) If you're doing track days, you'll go faster on the ZX9R unless you put some work into the ZX7R
6) If you want a bike with good parts availability, get the ZX7R

As far as long term desirability, I can't tell you which one will be more desirable, but I'd probably lean towards the ZX7R. On the other hand, the ZX9R has a heritage of its own with good runs in Formula USA back in the 90s, and also the first motorcycle to ever break the 150mph barrier.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
90 Posts
150mph? My 9R will blow through that number like it never mattered!

Thanks for the comparison. I had a 7R once for a short period of time, but it was less comfortable than my 9 and I sold it because I didn't have time to ride both. I hope I keep the 9R forever. I am determined to take it out to a track day in the spring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts