Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Why would you want to do this?
They appear to be a more advanced carb., which may also solve the hot start issues, for it appears that the zx7r keihin carbs may be the culprit.

This could end up as a major change in fueling, for better or worse, and unless someone has "been there done that", we don't know. Any opinions would be purely speculation.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Hot start has little to do with the carbs for starters. I for one do not have that trouble.

Insulate your fuel lines.

As for whether or not they are more advanced... I will consult my zx7/9 manual when I get home.

· Banned
3,604 Posts
They are the same carb. Just jetted different. I have compared 9r carbs to 7r carbs and they are the same. Only difference is the throttle cables are on the right as where on the 7 they are central.

· Premium Member
6,725 Posts
They are the same carb. Just jetted different. I have compared 9r carbs to 7r carbs and they are the same. Only difference is the throttle cables are on the right as where on the 7 they are central.
Not entirely accurate. The ZX9R (B) series (94-97) use a 40mm Keihin cvk carb. The 91-95 ZX7 and 96-03 ZX7R use 38mm Keihn CVK carbs.On a 750 the airflow velocity will be a major factor in tuning for your bike. The 40's will have a lower velocity of airflow through the carbs than the 38's. This will cause a difference in the venturi effect inside the carbs that pulls fuel into the engine. For high speed/high RPM use you'd probably not notice much (if any) difference. For low speed use it can create tuning nightmares for experienced and novice tuners.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
B models have a SIMILAR carb as the 7. The others are different, with the inclusion of an air cutoff whateverthefuck.

Considering I don't have any hot start problems, I tend to believe there is a solution to that problem somewhere.

· Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was thinking more toward the carbs off a 9r C, E, or F model on the 7r. If I can remember correctly, the C and F carbs (or was it the E model?) were touted as a "semi" flatslide design.

I've been looking closely at the 9r carbs on Ebay and noticed that if the carb spacing is significantly different between the 7 and the 9, the E model carbs might be next to impossible to work with. But changing the spacing on the carbs of C and F models appears to be fairly straightforward machining.

I may take the plunge and buy a set to try them, if I get them for a reasonable price. Come what may.

· Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you referring to the "B" model carbs off a 9r? I know that the C and F model carbs are different than the E model ones.

· Premium Member
6,725 Posts
Are you referring to the "B" model carbs off a 9r? I know that the C and F model carbs are different than the E model ones.
B model ZX9R carbs will drop right on the ZX7(R) "J,K,L,M,N andP" The others don't.

· Premium Member
5,908 Posts
The cable on my E model is in the center. I would not however suggest E models as they had enough tuning problems even on the 9s:lol
The E model has what they call a CVRD instead of the CVK like the earlier models and the F model.

· Registered
3,913 Posts
I'm located in Michigan also...should save on shipping cost.
They are from a '96 zx9r.
Aftermarket needles, 5 notches for adjustment and jets, 205 and 190's will be included.
Floats are set to 14mm.
Carbs are clean inside and out, emptied during winter storage, so there is no varnish/gum build up.

· Registered
2000 ZX-9R sE1, 2002 ZX-9R sF1, 2000 ZX-9R E1 EVAP restore
9,886 Posts
The cable on my E model is in the center. I would not however suggest E models as they had enough tuning problems even on the 9s:lol
The E model has what they call a CVRD instead of the CVK like the earlier models and the F model.
Oh come on! The E's CVRD 40mm aren't any different to tune than any other version. We are, after all, talking about the most advanced carbureted motorcycle around. :bonk

Also, the CVRD has a shorter depth distance (intake to outlet), meaning on 9R Es, you cannot switch to a CVKD without also changing to shorter intake boots, if that's even possible. I know. I tried. Maybe similar for 7s. :dunno

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
I still say that the hot start problems are not carb related and this is a big waste of time if that is what you are trying to fix.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.