Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

ZX9R B1 electric problem

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  92Ninjas 
#1 ·
Hi .. I'm new in this forum..

Unfortunately i ran into a problem with my bike. It seams over winter that it wont even turn on the head light or any other electric when i turn the key to On.

I verified that it is not the battery, had a battery tester and also the charger attached to it yesterday both verified that the battery is healthy. Also checked the main fuse and it looks good. Last season i did see a problem with the electricity due to the fact that the turn fuse kept blowing.

What can be the problem. Do you guys see any potential issues?

Best Regards Mathias.

#6 ·
Start one step at a time. Battery to frame voltage. Solenoid to frame. Solenoid other pins with key on to frame. Keep working your way back. There is a good chance the 30 amp fuse in the starter solenoid is blown or the cables are corroded.

If your battery does not have at least 13 volts, preferably 13.5 volts, fix that problem first.

#7 ·
Don't forget to check the inline fuse. Had that one pop on me before and left me puzzled before I learned that it existed. Mine was near the battery tray (93 zx7). It's incased in a plastic weather pack. Probably no bigger than a few cm in length. Maybe 1 cm. in width

Reactions: slim1100
#8 ·
that be the one I'm thinking of

#9 ·
The ZX-9R B's seem to have problems with the ignition switches when there well used/old, so do some resistance checks through the switch at the plug.
Expect to see zero Ohms between most except for the white wire power IN to the gray out, where you want to be seeing 100 Ohms.

#10 ·
Thank you for all the replies. Here is what i did :

1.) Checked all fuses. 30amps, 10 amps. Everything is okay.
2.) Found a loose wire between the ignition switch to the main cable (harness) - Fixed that.
3.) Battery reads around 12.50 volts => Battery to Solenoid reads around 12 volts.
4.) Between Solenoid and ignition switch reads 12 volts.
5.) When i power on the bike (turn the switch) nothing happens.
6.) After i place a multimeter at the frame and using the other pin suddenly it reads 10-11 volts and the bike seams to come alive (at some level atleast)
7.) Then when i start turn light it ticks once and then shut downs completely.

Any idea?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.