Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you like to learn anything about it i have just done it...best choise specialy for the track and cornering...its another bike!

·
Registered
835 Posts
In what way is it another bike? I'm curious as I had this done to my crank on my 95 zx9r, but don't have any "before" experience with the bike, and just finishing putting it back together for the "after" experience.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I believe this would apply to my engine aswell?? I believe the only difference betwenn 00/01 to the 98/99 is the top end..I am interested for sure

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Yeah, nevermind the new tires with the correct psi and getting the suspension rebuilt and tweaked.
haha.

but seriously, how could crank work transform the bike this drastically? Isn't there only like a MAX of 3 lbs you can shed from it? And I assume the Kawasaki engineers didn't design the bike to handle shitty due to "poor crank balancing and design."
Please elaborate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did it in APE racing..the crank was 9100kgm and now 8050.and balanced until 14000rpm.the bike revs faster smoother without vibrations.the best result is the cornering with speed above 80kmh..

·
Registered
253 Posts
It will decrease the gyroscopic weight. APE takes off the balancer to do this. So it is easier to flick the bike side to side, revs quicker, and balanced and lighter.

·
Registered
835 Posts
well damn wish I knew how to do this
This is really easy to do.

Take the crank, put it in a box, ship it to APE and pay about $400 to have it lightened. Wait about 6 weeks and you get it back. Couldn't be any easier...

If you look at my rebuild thread the before and after pics are there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is really easy to do.

Take the crank, put it in a box, ship it to APE and pay about $400 to have it lightened. Wait about 6 weeks and you get it back. Couldn't be any easier...

If you look at my rebuild thread the before and after pics are there.
with 400 you can shot pean the rods...its worth doing it

·
Registered
835 Posts
While I haven't ridden a stock zx9r for comparison, it seems that my bike with the lightened crank is a little difficult to launch from a stop. Seems that I need to slip the clutch a little more than maybe I should. This would make sense tho due to the less inertia the motor has when starting out from a stop. I've stalled it a couple of time at most inopportune times....

Sure revs and blips nice tho!

·
Registered
835 Posts
While I haven't ridden a stock zx9r for comparison, it seems that my bike with the lightened crank is a little difficult to launch from a stop. Seems that I need to slip the clutch a little more than maybe I should. This would make sense tho due to the less inertia the motor has when starting out from a stop. I've stalled it a couple of time at most inopportune times....

Sure revs and blips nice tho!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Interesting.
Might look into this when my engine goes to the builder this week.
Not liking the sound of lost drive ability though...

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Would you recommend it?
My engine is getting tore down and if I have $400 to spare and its worthwhile, I might look into doing this......

·
Registered
253 Posts
Would you recommend it?
My engine is getting tore down and if I have $400 to spare and its worthwhile, I might look into doing this......
I would say if you do alot of twisty back roads/track days it may be a good thing to do. I think if you had it balanced for just average daily riding you would be ok also. It all depends on how you are going to use the bike.
Explain to your engine builder what you intend to use it for(kind of gas, exhaust system etc..) and they should be able to go from there. Since they build road race motors they may suggest you lighten it up.If you have the extra money, you could maybe use it on lightening it up, rotors, calipers, aluminum bolt kit, rims.....less rotating weight will also help out.
Since I put my 998 motor together, had it dynoed it is a totally different beast. Throttle response is soo much better and revs quicker, night and day. I never had the crank lightened since some say you want the weight behind it on a dragbike.
Just a thought..send me a pm if you have any ?????

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Well I should see the engine guy sometime this week and will have more of an idea then.
Thanks for the advice though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts