Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
zx9r -98 cluster gauge problems

My odometer/tripmeter/clock and temperature gauge is always on, even with the key is removed, even the fan can start without the key.
I've disconnected the main steeringlock plugg, no difference, i pulled all the fuses and still they are on.
Ive checked the harnes from the front to the battery, nothing seems to been changed exept for some aftermarket turn signals.

Any suggestions?

Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer Motor vehicle
Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer Motor vehicle

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,165 Posts
Start disconnecting other harness plugs until they turn off.

IF they don't turn off, you have a short circuit that is keeping those accessories on. I would disconnect the harness plug for the cluster, test that harness connector with a multimeter and make note of which wire(s) have voltage with key off engine off.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start disconnecting other harness plugs until they turn off.

IF they don't turn off, you have a short circuit that is keeping those accessories on. I would disconnect the harness plug for the cluster, test that harness connector with a multimeter and make note of which wire(s) have voltage with key off engine off.
i will check that, read in another tread a guy having the opposite problem, that his gauges didnt have permanent supply and reset itself.

· Registered
407 Posts
First, the fan is supposed to do that, it is always live, so that after a thrash and you stop the engine, the heat-soaked engine does not overheat.

Strange. unplug the LED indicators just in case there the wrong way around and back feeding voltage to the clocks.

If you pull the green main 30 amp fuse in the starter realy and plug it back in, do the clocks needles sweep, just curious about this bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts