Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 zx9r and im having some severe issues with he bike. I bought off a friend who didnt feel like fixing it anymore and was short on cash. Anyways the issues are its running very poorly at idle. when you put it in 1st gear and go to take off it sputters and sounds like its running less cyclinders, but once u get up to 4000-5000 rpms or 2nd through 6th gear it runs great. but it also shots blue flames out the exhaust when decelerating. I am at a loss and need help, its been in the shop twice now and they keep saying its fine but it most odveously is not.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Have you check your pilot circuit and pilot air screws? Assuming it was professionally worked on, what are they set at?

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
At idle the bike runs off the pilot jets. At roughly 4000 rpms it switches to the mains. Best bet is to get yourself a Manual and clean out your pilot jets.

You don't mention if you have aftermarket pipes or filter. If stock, adjust per the manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not personally checked anything myself yet as i dont know much about carbs, because my other bikes have all been injected till now. but i assumed since in the shop a couple times now they would have done this lol but who knows. and im sorry it has a K&N filter and a full jardine exhaust. When it went to the shop they told me they did the compression test and everything was fine, and that they adjusted the carbs both times.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
If they adjusted it, it should have been fixed or they did not. If I was you. I would the work myself. Its easier and save lots of money. Not that difficult to do. Here bro. http://db.tt/IQp2d3vG
To my dropbox for the manual. Pull the tank off and remove the air cleaner. Then remove the carbs and carefully disassemble them. But do one at a time. Clean them with carb cleaner or brake cleaner. If the gaskets look to be bad or need new ones. Get your self a cup of diesel fuel and soak them. The diesel will make them swell and seal. Man I love diesel. I had a similar problem as you. But my.99 9r sits waiting to be rebuild. Sad. If you need any help. I will be more then willing to help. Really, clean the carbs, set the carbs to stock settings. Is the bike jetted? Might as well clean the air filter. When has the plugs been changed? I would spend the money and get the ngk iridium ones. I run them and like them. Keep men posted bro.

To some people its a rocket.
To others it's freedom. (1999 zx9r, 2008 zx14)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i figured they just screwed me around and at this point i agree i would like to try myself. as for the jets ive been told by my friend and the shop its got stock jets. now if it has an exhaust and an aftermarket k&n filter shouldnt it have a jet kit??? and if so should i buy one and put in during the carb rebuid or try to fix first?? Whats the best kit to go with? and the shop put new plugs in last time that i did check but they are just the cheap ones. and thank you very much Claps, look forward to your advice.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
In the manual. It will tell you the numbers for the stock jets. When you take it apart, just right them all down and check it. You do not have to jet with the after market air filter and exhaust. You can adjust the carbs. It would help yes. When mine ran, it ran great above 4500 rpms. Jetting it would help in the low rpms. I think dyno jet is what most run on here or factory pro. They around $100. Also your altitude can effect the way your bike runs. I live in Iowa and I believe we are 4000 above sea level. Also, when has the valve clearance been checked? That will be a must. I was told to keep the clearance on the loose side but not at the max gap it can go. There a lot of members that know way more then I do. I got most of my knowledge from them. Create an account with www.photobucket.com so you can upload pictures. Keep me posted bro and if you search, most please have detailed threads on this too.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
...I live in Iowa and I believe we are 4000 above sea level...
FYI, you might want to check where you get for geography stats. According to netstate.com, Hawkeye Point is the highest natural point in Iowa at 1,670 feet.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
As for ??? Minnesota, the high is 2,300' and low is 600,' which shouldn't complicate stock jetting, which is always jetted at the factory for sustained WOT sea-level operation.

Therefore, stock jetting would have nothing to do with why your bike runs poorly and shoots flames under 4,000 RPM. My money is on wrong float heights, bad float needles or improper setting on the pilot air screws.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright well ill do some searching and tinkering well see what happens, looking like we got a long winter this year.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
FYI, you might want to check where you get for geography stats. According to netstate.com, Hawkeye Point is the highest natural point in Iowa at 1,670 feet.
Well, I was way off. I cannot remember where I got it other then google. Google never lies right?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Well, I was way off. I cannot remember where I got it other then google. Google never lies right?
Google was the search engine that kicked out NetState.com result in the first position. :nana Maybe you were thinking of the ice sheet that once covered Iowa during the Pleistocene Epoch era. It was probably anywhere from 2,000 - 6,000 feet deep. Although its depth would be difficult to verify, plus it was over 10,000 years ago.

FYI, city limit signs will frequently have one or both of the following stats: local human population and local elevation. Take a gander next time you pass one.

For some reason, I'm drawn to the information on signs like these. :headscratch Maybe because I equate it to how much or little power I can expect from my bikes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have learned a lot about these bikes over the last few years. There are certain things very critical to the correct operation. First, ask yourself these questions. How and when was the last time the bike ran and how was it running before storage. A bike that sits without running for extended periods of time is most likely going to have spoiled fuel (make sure you dump it and get a fresh tank, all of it, even mixing a little bad gas with a tank of fresh stuff will cause issues). Check the easiest things first, a very dirty air filter will cause a rich condition. Maybe check spark on each cylinder and compression (don't take anyone's word for it, do it yourself, if I had a dollar for every time a dealership said they addressed an issue) If so, the number one issue is usually clogged pilot circuits. I had to literally rebuild and clean my carbs four or five times before I finally cleared the little piece of debris in one of the idle circuits causing it to idle poorly, very important to get cleaning fluid into those little passages and let them soak, then blow out circuit with air nozzle, high pressure. Usually a tell tale sign of a clogged pilot circuit is that the bike will run only with the choke on and stall without choke. If you have an erratic idle and it runs rough in the low part of the RPM range there is a good chance either the valve clearance is off or even more likely the carbs are out of sync. Make sure you have a good set of gauges or syncing them won't do any good, trust me, I've been down that road as well. Start with these few checks, be very thorough and pay very close attention to detail. Remember half measures get zero results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts