Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 zx9r the engine went in it so I brought a used one. It turn out to be a 2000 engine. The 2000 engine does not have a Cam Position Sensor. How can I make the 2000 engine work? Do I have to change the computer(ECI) and wire harness? Can anybody help?:banghead

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes you need everything and also the exhaust header is different so you need that to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Droz32, Looks like its back to the drawing board for me. It will probably be cheaper for me to find the right motor than to change everything over.

I had the 2000 engine installed with the 1998 exhaust, they mounted with no problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah the headers fit, but they do not fit right. The 98-99 has a smaller collar on the headers. I bought a hidle exhaust on ebay. The guy claimed it woulf fit 99 but it would not. I took the headers to a mchine shop and had them take the collars down to the right size. I may still have some adapters in my garage from when I bought my micron system...ill look and you can have them for the shipping cost(if I didn't can them)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Highjacker, If you have them I will take them. Just let me know, I will send you the shipping cost. So far I brought a set of Dyna coils and ignition. It is almost finished being installed. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't work

OK..I changed the engine, and the wire harness along with the CDI box and I am still not getting any fire to the plugs. I am banging my head against the wall. What am I missing?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You are not missing a thing IT JUST DOES NOT WORK. I have been working on the same thing for two months. I gave up and I am going to sell the 2000 motor and find a 98-99 motor. It sucks I know. Good luck with yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts