valve clearances
cleaned fuel tap
carbs balanced and cleaned
new battery

any help would be apprechiated

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
cold carbs at that speed mate, so I would suggest ice.............. check thread chug chug and one other that I cant remember off hand.

sool

·
Registered
990 Posts
Could be carbs icing up. Humidy & cold does not help the situation.

Check the inline filter in the carb heater pipe is not blocked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZX9 c2 model t reg 1999 full Akrapovic, k& n air filter, full dyno jet

ok cleaned out coolant filter checked all cable and connections.

still the same problem.

rode the bike thru town letting the temp get nice and warm over four

bars, noticed it was not running sweet a bit gruff. its a starnge

problem as i can thrash 3rd gear till the redline but any higher gears

and she bogs down like she is being held back, more throttle more

jerking

·
Registered
990 Posts
Where was it kept when not in use before you got it.

Sounds like water or crud in the fuel getting in the main jets or a clogged fuel filter. Where stood the fuel tank may have rusted internally & is causing the prob. Look at the fuel filter to see what state it's in now.

Otherwise:
Have you also made sure all electrical connections are okay, especially earth & HT leads. Also check state of fuses.

Have you got a manual to do fault finding on the electrics?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a hose that goes from the airbox to the ram air ducts. its one hose and it goes on right under the headlight you cant miss it if you are looking for it

·
Registered
12 Posts
ram air

i agree that it may be the hose that comes from the ram air. When I had my body work off, mine did this too. It seems that the two hoses that come out of the ram air scoops go to a bell shaped t connection. When i took off my front cowl i took the bell thing off and left the hose there chillin. At really high speeds...90+ the thing would just cut out like you shut it off or are running out of gas. I discovered that if I cupped my hand over that hose so it didn't get so much direct air...it ran fine. I just put the bell back on and it was all good. :crazyloco

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yep, could be vacuum leak but that usually affects all the gears at a certain rev window, not just 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. What I'm thinkin it is is probably a small vacuum leak, like a cracked hose or something but on a C-model, it's not really old enough to have this sort of problem unless it was left outside in a climate that has hot summers and cold winters for a few years. The fuel pump seems like an iffy prob cause that would also affect all RPM's... I would check all the hoses VERY CLOSELY for minute cracks, although if you've already done all that carb work, I'd imagine you'd know to do something as basic as to check for vacuum leaks...

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a hose that goes from the airbox to the ram air ducts. its one hose and it goes on right under the headlight you cant miss it if you are looking for it
i agree that it may be the hose that comes from the ram air. When I had my body work off, mine did this too. It seems that the two hoses that come out of the ram air scoops go to a bell shaped t connection. When i took off my front cowl i took the bell thing off and left the hose there chillin. At really high speeds...90+ the thing would just cut out like you shut it off or are running out of gas. I discovered that if I cupped my hand over that hose so it didn't get so much direct air...it ran fine. I just put the bell back on and it was all good. :crazyloco
Yes sir - this was the same problem I was getting, once you'd get to highway speeds and the bike would be between 4000-5000RPM it would hesitate.

Reconnect the ram air ducts, and the hose that connects to the bell in the center of the ram air ducts and leads into the back of your air box and your problems are solved

1 - 11 of 11 Posts