Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So iv been fairly excited on getting me a 96 N1 ZX7RR, but after reading this, http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_zx7RR.htm
I got quite nervous about the carbs, is it just me or is the link making the RR sound worse then the normal zx7. I plan on using the bike as my street bike with occasional track days, it only has 12000 and costs 4500, am I going to be digging my way into a money pit with this bike or am just getting upset over one link that I read. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Flatslides are just a biotch to set-up for the street...

There have been a couple threads here about setting them up... worth a shot to search out a few and read up.

Josh

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
where abouts in canada are you?

Im guessing ontario... near toronto?

thats where i know there is one for sale for $4500

Let me know where you are... if you are close enough to me I can help you with cleaning and getting that bike running properly

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
oh, you will hate the CR gear box in the city...

and the FCRs dont make it any better...

worse case I will sell you one of my ZX7Rs and take that RR off your hands... :evil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep heres the link http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...ki-Ninja-N1-ZX7RR-not-ZX7R-W0QQAdIdZ344699842

I will probably be picking it up on monday, I wana ride it to my brothers place in Petawawa, maby when Im up there we can meet up somewhere, I could really use a crash coarse on carbs and the zx7rr in general, I read somewhere that the electrical is absolutely abysmal on the zx7 and that a lot of problems can arise from there. This is gona be the priciest bike I buy, I loved my 91 zx7 to death, then got me a zx9 but the motor blew on that. Now I find this puppy and im going nuts for it, other then some of the harsher living aspects of the bike that I read about (carbs, gearbox), but I think I can get around it really and learn to love it. What might I not like about the gearbox?? And what can i expect to be doing maintenance wise.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Just a heads up, that bike has been on kijiji for a while. I looked at it myself and noticed a few things have been replaced on it. The sub frame is from the 7R (foot peg bracket on left side), rims are painted... This bike has spent a lot of time on the track, for sure. I am not trying to scare you off but just make you aware of what you could be getting. I would have it checked over because I have seen a few from the track that have hit the blacktop and guys just replace the obvious and throw the stock plastics back on to sell it. It could be a good buy but I took a pass because seller did not seem to know much of the history.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just a heads up, that bike has been on kijiji for a while. I looked at it myself and noticed a few things have been replaced on it. The sub frame is from the 7R (foot peg bracket on left side), rims are painted... This bike has spent a lot of time on the track, for sure. I am not trying to scare you off but just make you aware of what you could be getting. I would have it checked over because I have seen a few from the track that have hit the blacktop and guys just replace the obvious and throw the stock plastics back on to sell it. It could be a good buy but I took a pass because seller did not seem to know much of the history.
+1 I left the OP a similar message on the red monkey forums.

The bike has been listed for almost a year now and was on RSBFS. I had some communication with the seller over e-mail and he doesn't make any attempt to hide the fact that it was ridden hard, everything drilled etc.

Not sure where you are but I'm in Mississauga and I've got a RR as well if you wanna compare notes or have a look at one that hasn't had much done to it. Ninjanut also has one in a shed somewhere ;)

But even with problems, its still an RR and as long as the motor isn't about to explode, I think its priced right. I mean those plastic tails alone go for stupid money on ebay don't they (so make sure its OEM before you buy)? And parted out the frame would probably go for a little less than a quarter of the price of the bike!

·
Registered
338 Posts
If its in decent shape and the buyer would take an offer I did see any problem with it. As for the jetting issue in the article the OP posted up. IF you don't like to tinker I would recommend that you pass on an RR.
I had my RR since November and I am still adjusting my carbs!

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I am forever playing with my carbs to try and get the PERFECT roll on... but thats personal taste and play.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
My RR was set up using a dyno and runs great. FCRs can be a bitch to tune but I had lots of help setting mine up. Once they are set up they are not an issue (at least on mine). Gotta get it out of the shed soon, right sixstring?lol

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
I guess whatever the factory specs are at. As you know I am not the original owner, so that may or may not be true. Is there any specs that I should try?
The factory rce kit manual says:
Intake...103+ or - 2 degrees (atdc)
exhaust.105+ or - 2 degrees (btdc)

I run mine at 104 (intake) and 106 (exhaust). Factory specs weren't always dead on. I had a problem getting mine to carburate properly until I degreed my cams.After that I had no problem setting up the jetting in it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey ninjanut where did you take yours to get tuned? I need a dyno to tune mine but most of the guys around Mississauga have no idea what a fcr is... when I asked local tuners if they've ever had success or even experience tuning a bank of FCRs the usual answer I get is 'were good at all kinds of tuning...' Which I take to mean 'no'

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
The factory rce kit manual says:
Intake...103+ or - 2 degrees (atdc)
exhaust.105+ or - 2 degrees (btdc)

I run mine at 104 (intake) and 106 (exhaust). Factory specs weren't always dead on. I had a problem getting mine to carburate properly until I degreed my cams.After that I had no problem setting up the jetting in it.

+1...

did my kent race cams and gears... WOW!!... what a difference...

in105ex105.... thats specs from hawk.... revs like nothing else out there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts