Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a rear wheel that was supposedly off a 1996 ZX7R. However, a sprocket carrier from a 2000 ZX7R does not fit over the hub. That same carrier fits every other wheel (1996/2000/2002) except this one.

Are previous years ZX7 carrier hub dimensions interchangeable? Or maybe this is a ZX9R wheel? It looks identical in style and is the same outer diameter.

Font Line Parallel Circle Auto part

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All P Model 7R's are the same Sprocket Hub.
Yeah, I didn't relay that well in my question. I am trying to find out if this larger diameter wheel hub is due to a different generation or model. I don't have the wheel currently or I would pull some numbers and pictures.

I pulled the wheel off of an ebay purchase 1996 ZX7R that was chewing up sprocket carrier bearings. I was informed by the shop replacing the bearings.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the wheel turned around backwards? Sprocket carriers don't have bearings. Wheels have bearings and sprocket carriers are on a cush drive hub that slides into the wheel hub, not over it, but over the bearing. Either you have the wrong hub, the wrong bearings, or someone sabotaged you and built it backwards.
3 Bearings. 2 in the wheel hubs, 1 in the carrier. P model.

Product Font Parallel Circle Slope

ZX7R P model Sprocket Carrier
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Circle

Recess on the carrier that does not fit over the wheel hub
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Wood Circle

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Casting numbers?
👇👇
Yeah, I didn't relay that well in my question. I am trying to find out if this larger diameter wheel hub is due to a different generation or model. I don't have the wheel currently or I would pull some numbers and pictures.

I pulled the wheel off of an ebay purchase 1996 ZX7R that was chewing up sprocket carrier bearings. I was informed by the shop replacing the bearings.
I will update with some casting numbers when I can. Didn't realize the wheels were marked. That will answer my question, thanks @92Ninjas

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I hope you aren't a mod because you are a wanker KevA. It's where's Waldo, not rocket science you freaking pervert.

The fact that you can read the numbers on the lip of the race proves its a race and not the spacer you are talking about. Try reading
I appreciate you are trying to help. Thanks. Not worth getting worked up about it, good group of dudes to hang with here.

That image is the reverse side of the carrier, where no bearings are located. There is a race insert, but Kawasaki included that for strength. No numbers on the race. I can see in your last picture that it might look that way, but it is just the metal texture.

These images might help. Hi-res.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive design Rim
Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Circle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive design Rim
Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Circle

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All the sprocket carriers I have are legit P model and fit all my wheels. Apparently someone put one on a wheel that was not from a P model ZX7 and sold it to me as all OEM. The price you pay for buying remote through ebay. 😒

I will post the different casting numbers for comparison when I get the wheel back. I won't be able to get caliper measurements because it will have been machined to fit the carrier.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok here is what I pulled from the wheel. The powdercoating has blurred the lettering significantly.

After comparing to all my other wheels, the marking J-17XMT6.00 DOT Kawasaki is on every wheel I own. Under that is the manufacture date. Don't know what the other markings are under Made in Japan. Model maybe? Production line? Different on every wheel I have.

Apparently one bike I bought had replacement wheels and don't match the bike. Something else to look for when buying used and the seller is claiming all original.

Wheel that had to be machined. Markings are C/2 - 1/7 and 98 /7
Tire Automotive tire Drinkware Synthetic rubber Rim

Comparison 1996.
Drink Wood Glass bottle Automotive tire Tints and shades

Comparison 2002.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
After not finding anything on the net directly related to 90's wheel markings, I have to assume the wheel with the larger hub was from a different model. Most likely a ZX9.
I was looking at the parts fische for awhile, trying to figure out if another zx sprocket carrier hub could have been used. Only thing I found that looks similar is the 98-99 zx9r hub. But, I wouldn't have thought that those inner dimensions would have been smaller on a bigger CC bike.
I would image that the sprocket carrier was also a larger diameter to fit the ZX9 hub. Maybe due to the HP increase, they sized it up a few mm. But as they say, assumption is the mother of all FU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts