Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. I am new to this site.
I am making a vfr single sided swingarm conversion set up for my 1997 zx7r.
Everything is set up, but can't seem to work out the rear tire alignment.
I have not touched the frame, just using custom spacers for the pivot bolt, and custom spacers for the suspension. I'm using the stock zx7r suspension.
I can post pics later on today. The offset of the 96 vfr swinger and the 98 5.5 rim make for a terrible problem to figure out. Everything up to this point has been straight forward. Except for the alignment!
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this conversion with any success?
The triumph 955i axle/hub/rim set up is coming this week, purchased off ebay. I have read that the triumph hub fits inside the vfr swingarm. And that the triumph rim will have to be machined 5mm to bring the wheels inline. Will have to wait and see.
You can see that I have the bike done.Look at my avatar!
Complete with dual indigo exhaust system. The custom pipes look like crap. I am going to have R&R Performance make me some stainless steel pipes soon. Just need to get the alignment right.
I measured wrong and the brand spankin new 98 vfr axle has been modd'ed wrong. Out of $126.00 and $200.00 worth of machining! I went from have to much on one side and not enough on the other. To having the complete reversal with the new modd'ed axle. lol. So instead of 11mm. I think I need 4-5mm instead. This math is a p.i.t.a.!
-Frank

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the swing arm conversion is done!
If anyone wants to know how to do one or wants to buy the spacers I had make let me know.
Please see my other thread for pics.
thanks,Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me know how to pick up these spacers, found a vfr with a jacked front end for $700. , Have a parts bike zx7r and a mint zx7r with 7k for the swing arm conversation - will build right from part out bike fit everything then swap as a whole - cutting the tail/sub frame lower bracket and bring exhaust up under - , fab out a fiberglass rear fairing and there I go

·
6,915 Posts
First, this thread was from one a decade ago.

Second, they handle like crap when you put a VFR swingarm on a ZX7. The linkage is all wrong so the back end is pretty much rigid.

I had one on a ZX7 I bought many years ago. Two minutes of riding on it I pulled it and got rid of the VFR swingarm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Blahing001, yes I am still around. I randomly logged on and saw your post. I'm going to sell my motorcycle soon.
This modification can be done. Join sssa on fb. I'm on there.

57x, a few things just to set the record straight.....
1. Who cares if it's from a decade ago. People still like the look of a SSSA.
2. the linkage IS NOT ALL WRONG. I am using the stock 7R linkage and shock. The 94-97 VFR swing arm linkage mount is pretty much at the same location as the OEM 7R swingarm. The VFR is thinner then the 7R.
3. I had to make a custom bearing sleeve for the VFR OEM Dogbone linkage bearing, and spacers to match the width of the 7R dog bones.
4. I have custom dogbones to adjust the ride height. *Removing the 7R OEM height adjuster nut on the stock shock will eliminate the need for custom dogbones. Use shims to get ride height you want.
5. The bike has the exact same wheel base length as a stock 7R. I had a custom 525 rear sprocket made just to use the original stock 7R chain for wheel base measurements. Then I cut the chain off and bolted a new 520 rear sprocket (43 teeth iirc) and cut the 520 chain to match the original 525 chain length. Same wheel base.....
6. RAM makes a swingarm for the ZX7R. Doug Chandler used to ride one and that's what I was mimicking.
7. I had this custom bike for 14 yrs so it has stood the test of time. It is meant to be ridden on the street, not the track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts