Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finishing a fix it project I did to get a 2003 SV650 ready for my son I found myself needing to tinker again. I've always had a thing for the ZX7R and found something that will fill the need to tinker. Granted, I think I maybe in over my head on this one but here we go!

This was a 2-for deal for a few hundred bucks. They have issues...

The white one is a 1997 that was once loved and has had a few nice upgrades (though I'm not one to call a chrome frame nice). No title though and a state inspection that dates back to '07. It does have a full Akrapovic system and the radiator is looking as it should. It had all the plastics... Every one of them trashed and now in the trash. The forks are from somewhere else and I'll need help identifying them once I get the bike stripped down. The bolt spacing for the brake calipers is different and was rocking 4-pot Tokico's (not Nissin's). I believe the blue anodizing is custom and not going to help with finding where they came from. I pretty sure the engine is shot too (open secondary air and carbs only just mounted with two or three screws). The tank looks good on the outside but when I shake it it sounds like it has a shit ton of loose rust flakes inside.

The green one is a 01. I have a title for this one but this one was never loved. The frame is showing a little damage too which is disappointing. The engine is ''suppose' to be good. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Other than the tail this one has no other fairings. The forks are bent to the point they wont compress for the icing on the cake. Last state inspection on this one was '12. The tank is a little banged up but should be salvageable/restorable.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Currently the white one is on the lift with the intention of completely stripping it down for its good/useable parts. Once that's done I start stripping down the green one to then start the rebuild.

I figure between the two bikes I'll have enough to put together a single 'core' that I can then build upon and get ZX7R back on the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday I ran the VIN on the '97 and it turns out its another '01. The VIN is clean though which is a relief.
Got the controls, radiator and exhaust pulled off last night. I'll pull the carbs and drop the engine later this week and leave it as a rolling chassis. Then the plan is to verify than I can get the green one started before I go to much deeper into any of this.
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Sport Classic is a blast to ride but I have a love/hate relationship with it. I picked it up 2nd hand back when the Sport Classic line was a short lived and relatively unpopular line. I had wanted just a regular Sport 1000 but when this came in I jumped on the opportunity. A few years go buy and it turned into a collectable and now I'm torn about having a bike I enjoy verse the value it now has behind it.

Not much more work has been done since the last update. The last few days have been hot as balls here. I pulled the carbs and the plugs but that's about it (carbs were held on with only 2 screws). I have been doing a lot of eBay shopping to get a few of the bits needed to start making the other one run. I'll do a bit of cleaning while its on the stand but then swap them around and work on getting the green one running. I've ordered a full carb rebuild kit to help with that.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,845 Posts
After finishing a fix it project I did to get a 2003 SV650 ready for my son I found myself needing to tinker again. I've always had a thing for the ZX7R and found something that will fill the need to tinker. Granted, I think I maybe in over my head on this one but here we go!

This was a 2-for deal for a few hundred bucks. They have issues...

The white one is a 1997 that was once loved and has had a few nice upgrades (though I'm not one to call a chrome frame nice). No title though and a state inspection that dates back to '07. It does have a full Akrapovic system and the radiator is looking as it should. It had all the plastics... Every one of them trashed and now in the trash. The forks are from somewhere else and I'll need help identifying them once I get the bike stripped down. The bolt spacing for the brake calipers is different and was rocking 4-pot Tokico's (not Nissin's). I believe the blue anodizing is custom and not going to help with finding where they came from. I pretty sure the engine is shot too (open secondary air and carbs only just mounted with two or three screws). The tank looks good on the outside but when I shake it it sounds like it has a shit ton of loose rust flakes inside.

The green one is a 01. I have a title for this one but this one was never loved. The frame is showing a little damage too which is disappointing. The engine is ''suppose' to be good. Guess I'll find out soon enough. Other than the tail this one has no other fairings. The forks are bent to the point they wont compress for the icing on the cake. Last state inspection on this one was '12. The tank is a little banged up but should be salvageable/restorable.
View attachment 22062

Currently the white one is on the lift with the intention of completely stripping it down for its good/useable parts. Once that's done I start stripping down the green one to then start the rebuild.

I figure between the two bikes I'll have enough to put together a single 'core' that I can then build upon and get ZX7R back on the road.
The engine with open secondary airs is probably okay. You definitely have enough there to make a whole bike. I look forward to the updates

1 - 8 of 8 Posts