Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the ZX world, but I bought a 97 zx7R yesterday. 20,000 miles. Looks okay I guess.

The problem is that it doesn't start. The guy said it either needs an ignition switch or has a bad grounding somewhere, but he sounded positive that it's the ignition switch. The headlights don't turn on, but the other lights do. The bike turns over just fine, just doesn't catch. He said when he was riding it the ignition switch went bad and it shut off on him. He said that now if you do manage to turn it on (when you can get the lights on it turns on) it will shut off within seconds.

Could it just be the ignition switch? Or just a bad grounding? If it is the switch, how much would it be to install one. I see that its a $50 part online, but I don't want to mess the bike up trying to fix it myself.

Thank you guys for the help.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If I remember right, your headlight won't come on until after the engine starts or after you let off the starter button. I'm not sure what the problem is, but hang on a bit, someone will start you down the right path. Check all the simple things first, fresh fuel, fuel tap on, choke on, in neutral. Sorry that's all I can offer right now. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 93 and after sending it in for some body work, it quit starting. Took forever to diagnose, but it's the ignitor box (CDI). Could potentially be repaired, but much easier to get a new one. We thought it was the ignition switch too, turns out it's the brain box. Just another idea to check!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pm'd also a.cdi box is right under the seat. Its a matter of unscrewing two bolts, unplugging it, and reverse the process to install the new one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts