Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

zx7r head ache starting 1996

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ninjanut 
#1 ·
Hi everyone , I read this forum quite often but have never joined it until now. I have a 96 zx7r , it has to stay outside covered up and I don’t ride it too often so as you can imagine it’s always a ball ache to start , usually charge the battery and it will eventually . This time it isn’t , I’ve put a brand new battery on it but still nothing ..

It turns over but doesn’t fire

Tried the clutch wires 1 and 3 plug them together

Wired kickstand wires together

Still nothing

Checked fuses

Drained old fuel and put new in

Heard a very small cough of life , then ignition lights go off and absolutely dead.

This hasn’t happened before , all I have now is able to turn the lights on . No ignition lights won’t even turn over anymore.

Any help or advice is much appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Corrosion somewhere in your system due to being stored outside. Start with the easy stuff like fuses and relays. Unplug and clean all the connections. Invest in a multimeter and service manual.

The box in your pictures is the ECU, normally fastened to the right rear subframe on rubber bushings. The back of all ZX7R ECU's look like that.

#6 ·
Sounds like you've drained the battery.

You say it's a new battery, but have you put it on continuos charge for 48 hours before using? I was advised to do this years ago as it makes sure your battery lasts a long time.

Either way put your battery on charge now and try again after 48 hours.

I have a ZRX1200R also which sits indoors. I don't use it very often and it always takes 5 or 6 attempts to start.

One thing to do if you don't already do it is to make sure your carbs are empty after every ride. Just turn off the fuel near home, or when you're reached home and let it tick over until it dies due to lack of fuel.

Then when you want to ride again, turn ignition to ON, put in first gear, do not pull in clutch, press starter. You will hear a clicking noise that slowly diminishes. This is the fuel pump filling the carbs again.

#7 ·
Some good advice on draining the carbs. Fuel stabilizer is also a good idea.

Just like the other recent poster on here, starting issue sounds like clogged pilots. Sitting for period with fuel in them then hard to start is almost always clogged pilot jets.

As for your electrical issue you are going to have to start eliminating systems as the problem which is a mighty annoying task.

Put correct dielectric grease on connectors to prevent future corrosion.

#8 ·
Thanks for your reply ya , I’ve got the battery on charge as we speak . It’s a trickle charger that says it’s fully charged and now maintaining the Charge , will leave it on tonight to keep it at full power. I’ve just ordered some electrical grease also so will start on the wires when the rain stops. The ignition is back on now it must have a loose connection somewhere , I tried to check the spark plugs but all my spark plug sockets can’t get down the very thin holes to get to the plug , ordered a thin wall socket that should do the job though so just waiting for afew bits to come then to crack on ..

It still won’t start but is there any way to drain the carbs without having it running , I’m confident it will run again I have a feeling it’s something to do with the anti theft 6v grey wire thing , I’ve been reading about it and it’s meant to be quite common . When it’s going again , I plan on spraying the frame anthracite grey I’ll post some photos when I’ve done it and let you know if it runs again ??

#9 ·
zx7r head ache starting 1996 -FIXED

Just thought I’d update you with my bike , it’s now running .. I charged the battery for 2 days with a trickle charger which then maintains charge (doesn’t over charge) , removed junction box wire brushed the connectors and sprayed it with connector spray .. started up , ran well considering it’s been outside for a over a year . Just wanted to say thanks for the advice it worked and saved he a couple of hundred quid from the bike shop ?? Much appreciated

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.