Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all...i have a 1997 zx7r p model 1997 and under hard acceleration in 2nd gear it sometimes feels as though i am flicking the clutch....i have been told that it is actually forcing the gear shafts apart so 2nd gear is slipping...i have also been told that this model was fitted with a slipper clutch so i have no idea to be honest....
any info would be great....cheers

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Well the slipper clutch has no bearing on acceleration or cruise. It is used so that when you downshift it doesn't allow the back tire to break loose of it's traction. In terms of it slipping it sounds like either your clutch is failing, or you are about to be victim of the legendary 2nd gear failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The shift drum and/or shift fork is worn. It has nothing to do with the "back torque limiting" or slipper clutch. That's only for deceleration to prevent rear wheel hop.

There's no way to fix it easily and will only get worse as time goes on until second gear will not hold at all under acceleration and will just kick itself back to neutral. The parts are not that expensive, but the labor involved is. Shift forks are roughly $40 each and there are 3. The shift drum is around $100. But to get to the transmission involves removing the motor and splitting the crankcases apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks folks for the info....looks like having a long weekend off the road to do some investigative work.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts