Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

241 - 260 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi B+M Nick,

thank you for the Number of the first part. That will make my live a lot easier as a lot of People say they have Problems with a good centered triggerwheel :).

At the Moment i am pending between MS2 or MS3 because that will give me more oportunitys in the future. If i use a MS2 i can ask Dennis because he did it sucsessfull in the past. As you said Alpha N should be the easiest starter. But it wont give me a possabillaty to do something to compensate the RAM-Air effect.

Did you have experience with big differences in regards of height ( eg Sea level and ~2700m over sea level ? Is the O2 sensor enough to make the right desessions in that environment?

Best regards: Klaus

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, Trust me when i say the Microsquirt is the far easier and better option. It will do everything Ms2 or Ms3 does but the great thing with it, is its size, it's biggest part is the wiring plug that plugs into it! It runs MS extra software and tunes with Tuner Studio exactly the same. It will use Speed-Density, Alpha N or combination just the same, the other thing is it comes ready to go there are no worries or problems about if you have built it correctly.

The MAP sensor takes care of Barometric readings so the pressure differences (also including sea level etc) are taken care of by the ecu, Yes if you use a wideband O2 sensor it will take care of all the fueling for you if you set it up to include target AFR readings!

The RAM air effect is not as influential on running an Fi bike as running carbs. Because the carbs are fixed fueling and the Fi has the O2 sensor which can adjust and compensate the fueling for different air volume and density.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get! Looks like I could get ahold of GSXR 750 throttle bodies for about $200 bucks... I'm torn between doing this and throwing a ZX10R engine in the bike... Rue it, this will be the project and mod I'll do to the engine till like the third/fourth quarter of 2016.

Much appreciated for your commitment to this thread/project! Most definitely want to make sure your kit is purring perfectly... Screwing around with an ECU for EFI is more user friendly by a lot... Wonder if it'd be possible to make the 7R's low end even better... :tx3:
I thought the same thing about dropping a zx10r engine into my 7r, until I saw a rider in the UK did this with his! With all the mods and welding he had to do to the 7r frame I decided it wasn't worth it.

I sure hope you get the EFI to work on your back and leave us a shopping list for parts!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,410 Posts
That looks and sounds really good. You've done a great job so far!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #249 (Edited)
Hello guys!

Project is almost finished!

Now it's time to get registration plates, insurance and start fine tuning.

Small update :)

That's how it looks right now :)

BR

Kuba

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI ZX Freaks.

I've decided to describe my Carb to EFI conversion story.
I'm really new here. I've bought my ZX7R two weeks ago. That's the begining of my motorcycle adventure. :)

I've found quite nice ZX7R from 1998. It's eurpean version - imported from Italy.
I've bought it as completly stock bike, exept Akrapovic exhaust (manifold and silencer).
Bike is in quite well condition. It was suffering only carb problems.

I've done lots od EFI coversions on cars, so I've decided that ii will be much more easy to put a fuel injection than playaround with carbs.

So... let's begin!

That's my sweet girl :)
I've found here in really nice condition :)

I didn't think too much... I've just bought her :)

That's the photo from our trip home :)

Haaha "Beast in a cage" >:)

Finally we've arrived home :smile2:

First day, after buying my ZX7R, I've found GSXR 750 throttle bodies in a junkyard near my home :) They were quite cheap so I bought them. I didn't do any measurment of diameters of intlet and outlet of stock carbs - I thought that I will be able to fit them with some modifications.

I was really happy that I got them with all wiring loom, injectors, fuel rail, sensors (TPS and MAP sensor) and secondary throttles.

So... I get rid of stock carbs. Without any tears I've wave my hand and I've shouted "GET LOST YOU UGLY CARBS!!!!"

Now... I've had a clear space to fit a GSXR throttle bodies.

And...

.. I was suprised that the throttle bodies fitted almost perfectly. Only 2 and 3 throttle needed to do me respacing - I've needed to increase distance between 2 and 3 TB for about 4mm.

That's the compraision... GSXR TB and stock carbs...

>:)

The plan for next weeks is to:
- fit and set-up throttles control mechanism
- prepare new wiring loom for injectors.

My plan is to use following setup on my bike.
- UMC-1 ECU from No Limits Motorsport (Megasquirt 2 with Extra code)
- 12-1 teeth trigger wheel instead stock trigger wheel
- Batch Injectors (1+4) and (2+3)
- Wasted Spark ignition with stock coils
- PWM Idle motor
- Alpha N ignition and fueling algorithm with pressure conpensation

With ongoing progress, I will try to post all updates realted to my project.

Best regards

Kuba
Hey man i am doing this with my 96 zx6r, i am using a 2007 gsxr600 throttle body and microsquirt with a few mods to the hardware and software.

To solve the spacing issues i am getting 7000 series alluminium manifold spacers machined.

Howd yours end up?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Hey man i am doing this with my 96 zx6r, i am using a 2007 gsxr600 throttle body and microsquirt with a few mods to the hardware and software.

To solve the spacing issues i am getting 7000 series alluminium manifold spacers machined.

Howd yours end up?
Hello.

Nice to hear that another person is doing similar conversion.
My bike is finally ready for tuning, without any technical issues.
Spacing throtle bodies was quite easy to do - only 2-3 cylider dustance was larger than in gsxr k1.
Are you using 8 injectors throttles?

What type of trigger wheel are you planning to use?

BR

Kuba

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bit ot but last week I find starter free wheel and found parts of ZXR, including race conroads (like Atomic but no name ..), pistons (also 1mm oversize pistons (JE) and cylinder), ported head and factory kit cams !! , much to do next winter :) :) But first I have to get my engine running nicely :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
I thought piggybag means you need an existing ecu to add on?

Did i get it right: You use sensors, throttlebody, gas pump wo2 and connect it directly to the DET3 ? Would love to get a deeper introduction in this...
Hello

Ecumaster DET3 is so nice device... that it's able to work as fuel standalone. So DET3 is enough to provide a proper fueling :)

BR

Kuba

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi Kuba that`s what i wanted to hear :)

TheBadOne said:
that it's able to work as fuel standalone
That means stock ignition + DET-3 ?

As i never did such a conversion myself before and i am still just in the process off thinking about if i am able to do it i ordered some zx6 throttlebodies to see if they fit my 93 ZXR Engine ( less rpm but higher revs looks like they could be used ). At least rumors say they do!

As far as i know the crankshaft sensors of the zx7 ( all years from 1991 ) are the same. this should`nt be a problem. Do you think i could use youre settings as a first starter ? I know ignition curve between ZXR and ZX-7 is different...

I `ve seen that a lot of people use different sensors then the manufacturers ( just asking because i found some cheap sensors ( MAP / TPS / Watertemp and so on ) from ZX6 ( P ) ) and love the idea to have as much parts from one bike. Helps to source parts if i would damage something or when travelling. I have reliabillaty in mind...

Can you give as an overview what you used ( where and why this items ). Also i would like to hear more details about your difficulties and how you get rid off them... You are using "wasted spark" and injection and possibly MAP? Is the map built into the DET-3. If so: Which one? 2 or 4 bar? Or do you use none or an external MAP sensor ? Thinking about the possabillaty to use the place of the syncronisation Adapters for MAP and Temp Sensors"

Are you willing to lend a hand If i would decide to give it a go ? I am pretty shure i would need a hint here and there....

There is absolutly no pressure in my project as i have 2 bikes for street riding and one for the track. The conversion would happen on a different one which i would built out of spares...

Also I think i need to spend some time with a beer and an cylinderhead without cover to think about a camshaft sensor :). At the N/P it might work from the side but ZXR ( J/L) has the powertrain on the right side and the left is also not usable...

P.s: Found that interesting Document about "How efi works"

·
Registered
537 Posts
As i am really interested to get more to know about efi i am looking around and found an interisting Blog about a bmw conversion. I know it`s a car but i think the explanations are straight forward and may be off interest for some others. If you don`t like to see it here just give me a hint and i will delete this post to keep the threat clean...

Here we go...

Also i found an calculator for an initial ignition advance for the first start up (in case nothing else is available): Again: A Megasquirt site

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
As i am really interested to get more to know about efi i am looking around and found an interisting Blog about a bmw conversion. I know it`s a car but i think the explanations are straight forward and may be off interest for some others. If you don`t like to see it here just give me a hint and i will delete this post to keep the threat clean...

Here we go...

Also i found an calculator for an initial ignition advance for the first start up (in case nothing else is available): Again: A Megasquirt site
I you want to get some nice infos about EFI, AEM EFI Basics is a good source for knowledge -> download it here

Personally I don't like AEM Power ECUs - They're rebranded poor GEMS ecus, but the manual is pretty well, especially for those who want to start their adventure with EFI.

BR

Kuba

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Gentlemen,

We got some progress with my project. This week I was able to make a techincal examination of bike, get registration plate, insurance - so it's now street legal bike :)

Before getiing bike on road, according to well known "loud pipies, save lives", I've set up "Flat Shift" statery to make some noise during gear shift. :p

It cuts 50% of ignition cycles, and retard ignition by 30 deg each time you disengage clutch with RPMs over 6000rpms and TPS over 50% - so you can upshift with full throttle. really usefull and pretty nice effect :D

After few adjustments of my base map, which was done from scratch, Ninja started to be pretty driveable :) with nice low and mid range performacne.
Unfortunettly I've run out of injectors flow....

After short analysis of logs I've figure out what's wrong. I've installed fuel rail with bit bent fuel connection... and it'a making enough restrictions to lean out a higher revs range. Now I need to rework a bit my fuel rail and during weekend I will make a fine tuning :)

BR

Kuba

241 - 260 of 286 Posts