Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a zx7r engine that may run the kit pistons,so here goes,the rods needed are 2mm longer then ome(carnt find them),so can i get round this with an earler crank??..as i need 2mm more stroke to use the kit pistons on ome rods then deck the height of the cylinders.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
the stroke on a 91-95 ZXR750 is 47.3 compared to a ZX7R's 44.7mm. this gives you 2.6mm more of total stroke. (1.3mm top and bottom)

the earlier crank does drop right in, but since you need 2mm more of stroke, you're gonna need to get a base gasket roughly (.3mm) 0.011811 inches thicker than stock. this will also stroke your engine a few more cc's aswell.

hope that helps!

·
6,664 Posts
I heard the 96+ kit pistons needed 3mm longer rods for kit pistons??? I know the 91-95 Kit pistons need 2mm longer rods but heard the later model motors needed a longer rod to clear the crank. This is second hand information, which could be incorrect, so I am just curious to validate what I have heard. I have set of 2mm over Pankle rods that I am putting with a set of 4mm over Kit pistons (836 motor) for a 94 WSBK bike I will be building later this year.

While the early crank technically does fit, the #4 and possible the #3 piston(s) will need to be notched at the pin to make them fit. You may want to blueprint the pistons to get them all to the same weight while you are doing it. The bore spacing is .5mm wider on the 96+ than the 91-95. The bearings will not fit dead center of the bearings, but this has been done repeatedly by the race teams and many on the road.

You typically have plenty of space in the stock timing chain for the extra deck height and it does not change the height of the motor enough to make the engine not fit in the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts