Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello peeps

Info:
I bought a 1995 zx750r with a 1996 9r engine.

Issue 1:
It doesnt run as perfect as it should.
Accel is fine but still lacks power, when going at constant speed "not full throttle" it pops a little and doesnt go smooth.

Issue 2:
RPM gauge doesnt function propperly, sometimes it moves a little but non functional.

My own thoughts:
Im guessing maybe jets, could be the airbox or syncing the carbs ?
Any goode idea´s would be appreciated.

Also if you know which airbox should be used and how too identify it.
What size jets should i use ?

How do i identify if they used the ignition box from the zx9r ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Think maybe i should also try and identify the carbs if it is the zx750r or zx9r carbs, for propper rejetting.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think it's a carb issue.

Identify the carbs

Clean the carbs

pay special attention to the float level, making sure that all of the diaphrams seal correctly

Does this happen at all rpms or just in specific areas?

If you have CVKD 40 Keihin carbs, these are the zx9r carbs. I have a dynojet kit, muzzy exhaust, aftermarket air filter, floats at 13mm, pilot airscrews at 3 turns out, jets are 205's. I have a little hesitation at about 3k rpm, but other than that it runs great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a few issues.

Basically any rpm other than accel and standing still stutters and is killing me :)

I removed the tank etc. after my purchase and the airbox was sitting badly on the carbs, so i went today to a selflearnt mechanic and we synced the carbs, fitted the airbox as good as possible to the carbs, but still same problem.

Also we had to raise the airbox about 1 cm in the frontend resulting in the tank also being raised and now doesnt look very good on the frame.

Not sure if i should get another airbox if this one perhaps is from the zx9r and is a little higher than the zx750r.

The karbs are kehin that much i remember, they are 40mm inside and they go all the way up "not restricted".
Previous owner has put a Devil bolt on exhaust on.

Perhaps its the jet's that needs to be changed ?

Im really getting pissed atm :) running 50 miles and it shoots out of the exhaust and runs poorly. I have to accel all the time :p

·
Registered
847 Posts
if it's shooting flames out the exhaust it sounds like it's running really rich.

If you do a search on carb cleaning you will find lots of info. Essentially there are three circuits in these carbs....low throttle, mid throttle and full throttle. Low throttle is partially controlled by the pilot air screws. Mid throttle by the needles and full throttle by the main jets.

Check your float levels. they should be set to 13mm. Any less and they will be too lean, any more they will be too rich.

Take the carbs apart and clean out all the passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. Don't mix up the carb parts. Keep #1 separate from #2, etc.

It's a time consuming process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesnt shoot flames, just pops loud.

Still if i clean the carbs i will still have the problem with the airbox only fitting propperly on the carbs and not on the intake.

Also when checking the airbox etc. today their is a tube / hose not sure the right word, but their is a hose missing from the vacum pump, the one on the right side.
Their is just the place to put the hose on and i cant find any diagram of where it goes or does.

Ill try and clean the carbs, but any info on the vacum hose / tube ;) and where it goes and also getting the airbox too fit better.
Really bad with the tank raised 1 cm, and not sitting propperly.

Im thinking could thise bad fit be because they when changing the engine didnt fit it at the correct height and just threw it in ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts