Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been planning on doing the zx9r swap into my 93 zx7. I know there are a couple people here that have done it and that the B series engine will essentially bolt right in with a little opening up of the upper motor mount, But not really sure what all exactly I'll need to be doing. So if our fellow whores who have done this can chime in, hopefully it'll help me out and anyone else who was hoping to try it out. When I do go to do this, I'll post up a step by with photo's ect of what gets done as to help out others further.

·
6,600 Posts
The main change on a pre "P" model is offset drilling the engine mounts on the head. The 9 motor is a bit taller than the 91-95 motor and all that is needed is to line up the engine mount to the frame and drill the mount on the engine. This change requires more work on the P/N models with a kit from BRG.

The ZX7R header will work on the 9 motor change on most aftermarket swaps. You will get minor interference with the oil pan, but other than that no issue. The stock airbox will work with the ZX7 38mm CVs or the ZX9R 40mm CVs.

The 93-95 harness is virtually the same (I have put a B model harness on a couple 93-95 ZX7s). The main thing you need to consider is the 10,500 RPM rev limit on the 9 motor. DO NOT EXCEED THIS LIMIT. The ZX9R B model CDI plugs right in to the 93-95 harness, so no other changes there are necessary. A race engine builder suggested to top off the oil on the 9 motor to the top of the glass instead of the middle like the manual says. The oil pump is too strong and starves the crank at high RPM and load.

You should either use the carbs from the 9 motor or some flatslides for the change. I decided to use flatslides on my bike, but it is a track duty beast anyway.

I have a couple spare 9 motors if anybody needs one for a swap.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What's the going rate for useable 9r engine? I am heavily considering this for my 2012 Winter project.

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The 93-95 harness is virtually the same (I have put a B model harness on a couple 93-95 ZX7s). The main thing you need to consider is the 10,500 RPM rev limit on the 9 motor. DO NOT EXCEED THIS LIMIT. The ZX9R B model CDI plugs right in to the 93-95 harness, so no other changes there are necessary. A race engine builder suggested to top off the oil on the 9 motor to the top of the glass instead of the middle like the manual says. The oil pump is too strong and starves the crank at high RPM and load.
The ZX9R B engine redlines at 12,000.

Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
sorry to revive this thread .. i have a 1993 zx7 and i have access to a 94 b zx9 motor. I was wondering which route is best for more power 863 cc kit or zx 9 motor or even zx9 motor punched to a 950cc w/other engine work.

For the zx9 motor conversion - I know the motor is taller than the 7 motor -- does the 7 airbox still work and will the 7 gas tank still mount to the frame as OEM ? I prefer the OEM look as much as possible.

on the airbox, does the oem snorkel still connect to the airbox or is there any modification needed here ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
does the 7 airbox still work and will the 7 gas tank still mount to the frame as OEM ? YES

does the oem snorkel still connect to the airbox? YES

I've done this motor swap 3 times.
As 57X mentioned, a little bit of work on the upper engine mounts.
I prefer to file down the upper LEFT mount and sleeve them both for the offset.

·
Registered
13 Posts
does the 7 airbox still work and will the 7 gas tank still mount to the frame as OEM ? YES

does the oem snorkel still connect to the airbox? YES

I've done this motor swap 3 times.
As 57X mentioned, a little bit of work on the upper engine mounts.
I prefer to file down the upper LEFT mount and sleeve them both for the offset.
thank you - I spoke to 57x 2

·
Registered
6 Posts
The main change on a pre "P" model is offset drilling the engine mounts on the head. The 9 motor is a bit taller than the 91-95 motor and all that is needed is to line up the engine mount to the frame and drill the mount on the engine. This change requires more work on the P/N models with a kit from BRG.

The ZX7R header will work on the 9 motor change on most aftermarket swaps. You will get minor interference with the oil pan, but other than that no issue. The stock airbox will work with the ZX7 38mm CVs or the ZX9R 40mm CVs.

You should either use the carbs from the 9 motor or some flatslides for the change. I decided to use flatslides on my bike, but it is a track duty beast anyway.

I have a couple spare 9 motors if anybody needs one for a swap.
How about zx9r B model header exhaust with zx7r engine? I cannot find any titanium zx7r dedicated headers but i found for zx9r 94-97 model? Can i put it to my zx7r p2 ?

·
6,600 Posts
The ZX9R headers will hang low on the 7 engine. The 9 header gets quite close to the lower fairings and could melt them. You could possibly put some heat tape on the lower fairings to protect them. I don't know if there is a performance impact.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I read a pretty extensive Header test from a dyno on Redmonkey back in the day.
ZX7 Headers produced more mid-range HP
ZX9 Headers produced more top-end HP
I run a MUZZY ZX9 Ti system, but mine does have swingarm & bodywork(lowers) fitment issue.
The heat tape is a quick fix @ the moment

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Im using a ti 9 pipe on my build also
I bought some heat sheild material and cut out to fit on the back bottom of my lowers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts