Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

zx7 won't fire

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  P_trice 
#1 ·
I have an 89 zx7. It ran pretty good but leaked oil and antifreeze. I took it apart and installed new gaskets for the oil pan and water pump. I also put a brand new cam chain tensioner on it. I put everything back together and now it won't run. It just floods it self out. I am getting good spark, what went wrong? could there be a wire loose somewhere that i don't know about? The bike used to run pretty good now it won't even start. Please help

#3 ·
First off did it run before you did the work on the bike if so!!

check that you have spark and your plug wires are on good because the plugs sit so deep in the motors you think they are on good sometimes there not.
you can here them click on and feel them aswell 2 or 3 very small clicks when the wires seat on well.

#4 ·
the bike ran fine before the new parts and gaskets were added. I have checked and rechecked my coil, plugs, and plug wires. the ignition system checks out fine. I am starting to think that it's possible that one of the cams jumped time a little bit when I changed the tensioner. Any thoughts on this?

#6 ·
check for compression before changing timing again. if compression is up, did u think that the carbs were set to a motor that may have needed more fuel to keep going? air/fuel mixture? im not great with carbs tho.

#7 ·
The way he has his pilots are fine. Why he's flooding would be due to either the float height is off, or they are sticking from sitting dry while he was working in the bike. Or the enrichener is stuck.

#8 ·
i am in the process of checking the timing to see if it skipped a tooth or not. Then i plan on doing a compression test to make sure all cylinders are within spec. It is very possible that the floats are stuck do to sitting for a few days with gas in them. I didn't even check them. I will report back later with results of what i find.

#9 ·
I took carbs apart and cleaned them spotless. the bike still won't start, it just floods. I'm really starting to think the cam chain skipped a tooth. I have spark, fuel, and compression and it won't start for nothin. It has to have something to do with the timing. Anyone have thoughts on this?

#10 ·
i am in the process of checking the timing to see if it skipped a tooth or not. Then i plan on doing a compression test to make sure all cylinders are within spec. It is very possible that the floats are stuck do to sitting for a few days with gas in them. I didn't even check them. I will report back later with results of what i find.
What were your results on the timing check? Compression?
Have you tried pulling the plugs and dropping a little fuel in each cylinder and then cranking it over. That will eliminate fuel delivery for you.....
What about your battery status? My 89 zx7 was picky and always wanted full power to start. It would crank on low batt but not enough to fire it up, then I'd hook up a batt pack and it would start.

#11 ·
Ok first off unless my understanding of engines is wrong if your compression is fine then your timing is close enough to start. Do you smell fuel coming out of the exhaust when trying to crank and if so have you tried to start with the throttle open? Also what was the floats set at. Should be 15mm for stock. Pilots 2-2.5 turns out. If you don't have a MM ruler to check the float height you can always use the head of a 15mm bolt and place the flat edge on the carb body, then set the top of the float to the other flat side of the bolt. Or you could just send me the carbs and I'll get you running. I have the same bike so I can even make sure they work before I ship them back.

#12 ·
One other thing. If you have the stock 36mm cvk's please send the intake boots as well so I can install them on my bike and make sure they work properly, before I send them back to you.

#13 ·
I honestly don't think i'm having carb issues. I can smell fuel from the exhaust. Plus, the bike ran great before the teardown to replace gaskets. My floats are set at 15mm, and my needles are at the 3rd clip, and my pilot screws are 2.5 turns out. the bike used to run great just like that. I checked timing marks on cams and magneto. The marks on each cam looked to be spot on. The magneto however, seemed to be a bit off, it seems to have skipped 1 tooth forward as the lines do not quite line up. I am using the procedure in the service manual to check the timing. I disassembled camshafts and moved each cam 1 tooth forward today, which will move the crank sprocket back 1 tooth. Tomorrow I will put the valve cover back on and try to start it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

#15 ·
I'm thinking you found the problem. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.