Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
Long time lurker and even longer time owner of a 94 ZX-7. I recently went through replacing the push rod oil seal and then followed by oil leaking from the neutral light circuit. While in the shop the second time for the neutral sensor oil leak, I looked around for a possible replacement if the mechanic found anything more fatal than what it was. Luckily that was a simple fix.

Having said that and with some time to look around, has anyone here rode in great length either the Yamaha 04-06 R1 or the Ducati 848\1x98 series? I like the stability of the ZX-7 but I'm sure that has a lot to do with being so used to the bike. I would really appreciate any objective feedback, good or bad for either camp. Pro's for the ZX-7: great stability on corners, nice solid design (built like a tank), great body position-feels right when engaging sweeping curves, I like the looks (okay, not as objective). The cons: weighs like a tank, hate the carbs (stand their looking stupid in these days of fuel injection while she's cold and screaming at 4000rpm waIting to warm up) and the ergonomics are painful when taking 2-3+ hour rides.

I plan on riding mostly on the street but will also take it on the track. I know the ZX-7 is not comfortable for long hauls but that's not much of an issue as I seldom ride 2+ hours. I'm more concerned with a solid cornering bike and one with ergos that skews towards track prowess. To put in perspective, I rode my friends 2007 Honda 600rr. That bike felt like a tourer to me. I know the old school is head down and a$$ in the air tuck but it just feels right when you're on the track or connecting curves on the weekend.

Sorry for the ramble; hope not to be flamed too bad for inquiring about non 7 bike.

Cheers All!!!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I absolutely love my 7 for long rides. I have even done the Iron Butt 1000 miles in 24 hours rally.

If you think the ergonomics are bad on the 7 you'll definately hate the Ducatis. If you can barely stand 2 hours in the Ninja, you might last 20 minutes on the Duke.

Not sure you'll find many wanting to recommend ditching the 7 for something else in a ZX7R forum...

Josh

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd say most bikes are going to feel pretty upright compared to the 7. If you can handle the position of the 7 pretty much anything else is fair game. I'd imagine the Dukes more to what you like ie track focused. The jap bikes are mostly resonably sensible these days.

Can't comment on how any of the r1's or Dukes ride but the obviouse things. Faster, lighter, twitchier.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Don't get an R1. If you think the 7's get hot while riding the R1's will really burn you. I have two friends that sold their R1's due to it getting excessively hot while riding. Highway or in town. So far the only other bike that I have found comparable has been the 01-03 GSXR 1000, but alas it's a GSXR.

·
Registered
919 Posts
From what I have heard the late model Ducatis are more comfortable than the 90's 916 and 748. Not sure how they compare to your bike though as I have never ridden one.

As far as your 7 screaming at 4k at warm up. You are not using your choke correctly.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
That too. +1 on the choke. You need to turn the choke on start the bike and as it climbs in RPM lower the choke setting to maintain idle at roughly 1500-2000 Wait a minute then shut it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all the feedback.

1) Iron Butt on a ZX-7... I bow before you :clap Couldn't have done that.
2) Thank you for the tip on the heat of the R1. Do you by chance know if the R1's your friends had were of the same model year as what I'm looking at?
3) I do step the choke down as it slowly warms up but the initial start still has it jumping skyward. This also happened with my previous 93 ZX-7 track bike. Never having ridden fuel injection motorcycles on a cold morning, I still assume it's easier to take off. Stand/sit on the bike until it warms or nurse the clutch and keep the RPMs higher if I try to ride away immediately to avoid stalling :banghead

I would never replace the 7 but wouldn't mind adding to the collection and wanted one with the ergos and stable cornering that the 7 has.

Thanx again everyone!

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
at least try and test ride an 1198. try to ride an S or an SP model. The bikes are extremely lite. The newer ducs maintenance schedule is more relaxed. Replacement parts cost double of your typical jap bike. You have to do your own maintenance. Dealers charge a fortune.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
3) I do step the choke down as it slowly warms up but the initial start still has it jumping skyward. QUOTE]

Here is my typical start sequence if the temps are 50 and under:

Full choke, thumb starter and as the engine catches, move the choke to about 2/3 to 1/2. Engine will drop RPM and then slowly start catching up to 2000 rpm. Then I move the choke a little more to drop the rpm again.

Once I am around 1/2 to 1/3 choke I ride off. And all of this happens in a short amount of time, like 30 seconds after the engine is started.

About 2nd or 3rd gear I completely turn off the choke.

If the temps are around 50 or so and the bike has sat all day (like at work) I use 1/2 choke, start the engine, blip the throttle a couple times, move choke to about 1/4 to 1/3 and ride off. Same thing, turn choke off with 2nd gear.

Josh

·
6,664 Posts
Unsolicited but, check out the ZX10R. I have an 05 ZX10R street bike and an 04 ZX10R track bike. I absolutely love them. Resale sucks on them for some reason, so they are cheap to get into. My street 05 was nearly perfect, 15K miles for $2500. The track bike with 10K miles and track fairings for $1500.

Understand, I still have several ZX7Rs and will not part with most of them, but love my 10s.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Flame if you want but I think I would get a GSXR1000 for my next bike. It's either that or a 10R

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My second bike will likely be an RC51 or 04/05 ZX10... still love my 7 though. Always will.

Josh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bullitt, thank you for the technique. I'll try to incorporate that into my routine. After 17 years and still learning.

57x, I'll look into the 10R. With the way their prices dropped, I thought it was being avoided like a plague for some performance reason. Does the 10R handle like the 7 and is the riding position good for track without much modifications?.

ChristiKitty/Bullitt...variety is the spice of life ;-)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Im a big fan of the 01-03 gsxr1000 and would buy one if the right oppertunity came along. Honestly though if your looking for a track/street bike look into a modern liter bike or a vtwin like rc51. If you like ducatis buy one but expect higher prices and a little more maintaince.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Bullitt, thank you for the technique. I'll try to incorporate that into my routine. After 17 years and still learning.
Give it a try, I don't guarantee anything though.

I had a 99 Kawasaki Drifter. Pull the choke, start engine, then push in to close and ride off. Ran like ass with anything other than fully off, no matter the temps. Even with straight pipes!... I miss that bike a little, I also miss some of my hearing too! :eek:hno

I had a 1992 ZX6 in 1996, I don't think I ever really used the choke on that thing.

Josh

·
6,664 Posts
57x, I'll look into the 10R. With the way their prices dropped, I thought it was being avoided like a plague for some performance reason. Does the 10R handle like the 7 and is the riding position good for track without much modifications?.
The 10 fits me well and I like the way it rides. It handles nothing like the 7. It feels lighter and looses some of the assurance and stability only the 7 has. I have not had my track bike out to a track day yet. I have also never been on a track with tons of power, so it will take some getting used to. The riding position seems like it will be good for the track though.

I have it all backwards on my 10s. My street bike is all modded out with Ohlins forks, damper, shock, Akrapovic pipe, Vortex rearsets, Brembo brakes / MC front and rear, Kyle bars, Power Commander, Marvic wheels. This bike has been dyno'd at 168 to the tire. That is so different that the seven it is unreal. It will pull the front up without effort in the first four gears just by rolling the throttle.

The track bike is all stock except an Ohlins shock and damper. That is the way I want it though. I need to get used to all that power. All my track time is on small bikes, so I need to learn to keep the rubber on the road before getting all the toys for it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I rode a 05 R1 for two years. Very nice bike. Compared to my ZX 10, it might have been a bit soft. But if you are looking for a everyday bike with track talent, then I would go with a R1. The Ducati is crap!!!! Stay away from them...:crazyloco

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
thanks regardt. I wasn't sure on the year that started to get really hot..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I rode a 05 R1 for two years. Very nice bike. Compared to my ZX 10, it might have been a bit soft. But if you are looking for a everyday bike with track talent, then I would go with a R1. The Ducati is crap!!!! Stay away from them...:crazyloco

Appreciate a hands on feedback. Can I ask why you moved away from the R1? Also, your thoughts on Ducati, would that be personal experience as well? If so, which model? The closest Ducati dealer is a bit of a haul. I plan on swinging by in the near future but wanted to have input so I don't get distracted by the pretty lines....they sure are easy on the eyes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Resale sucks on them for some reason, so they are cheap to get into. My street 05 was nearly perfect, 15K miles for $2500. The track bike with 10K miles and track fairings for $1500.
What! They are minimum of $6000 near me. I want a 04-05 ZX10 for my next bike. I will probably keep my ZX7 because nobody else will see its value except me.:angry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts