Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I bought an 89 zx7 750, needed "some work". The guy I bought it from said there was a tapping noise and he said he thought it was the valves/head. So I assumed *wrongly* that he knew what he was talking about. I took apart the head and one of the lifter buckets was stuck and the camshaft holder things had stripped out bolts and I thought that was the source of the noise. So I Heli-coiled and serviced it, put it all back together and started it up and guess what, a fatty tapping noise. This was not the "normal" sound everybody talks about, but I was too lazy to take everything back out. So I rode it around a little bit around the 'hood a few days and one day the oil light flickers on and off and the bike dies. So I finally get it to start by holding the throttle wide open but it will only idle like that (wtf?). I let it sit for a while and attempt to start it up. Well, it fired right up, but I immediately revved it to 7000 rpms. Crack, boom there goes the #1 cylinder's connecting rod bolts right through the front of the engine onto the ground. wow cool! :mfclap ...Not

So sorry for the long story, but here's my question. I am having trouble finding engines for exact replacement, will a newer zx7 engine fit (same mounts, clearances) into this bike? Like a 1990-1998 zx7 engine. I can find newer engines easily so if it would fit that would be ill. Also, I know the carbs will work, but the electronics should work too right? I mean it's the same displacement and pretty much the same motor as I can see comparing pics, so all the tuning should be the same. Am I wrong?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts