Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Pulled the plugs cylinder 4 looked a little rough the guy had used some sort of aftermarket boot for the sparkplug. Everything else looked good which was promising. I brought my carb down to a local shop to see if they had a rebuild kit but wasn't having much luck so I left it with them. I'm just gonna have them soak it in a ultrasonic cleaner if I can. I really don't want to separate the carbs and ultrasonic cleaners that size seem pricey. I'll try to swing by a local music shop and grab some guitar string.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The string I used was about .012" diameter so it's a very flexible when you try to push it. I grip it with a long nose pliars and just have a small amount hanging free. That minimized the tendencey for it to just fold over. You can also spin it with the pliars to work past crud. Be careful though, it can open up the diameter of holes in brass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
She purrs like a kitten now huge thanks to the local shop who hooked me up with free plugs and free pilot jets. Plus some wire to clean the ones I have just in case. Really great guy got new float valves from him and that did the trick she runs now. Now on to putting on front rotors, lifting front end, reinstalling choke, fixing rear suspension to match the front, turn signals, left handlebar choke and turn signal control, and probably alot more. I'll get some pics up as I go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Okay so tank is nearly restored and dds opens on the 4th so it's almost time!! Seeing as I have a good week anyone suggest just going ahead and pulling the valve cover and checking shims before I start putting miles on the bike? I have a pretty good feeling cylinder 4 has a issue with the exhaust valve clearance but honestly have no idea. I have a service manual coming in my big issue is the cost of the shim kits. Would my time be better spent with the cover off for a few days while I take measurements and skip the kit and pick up shims from someone local?

Also on my tank, I think the old barbs were soldered on and rusted off? they came out like they were press fit. Typically how were those installed? Any ideas welcome and highly appreciated

If I can addon fuel shutoff valves where the barbs are I'd be a happy man. I can see the tank coming off a few times in the future and wouldn't mind some flexibility.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
And if anyone with a 93-95 zx7 could take a pic of how the stock turn signals got mounted it'd save me a day of head scratching. I'm still lost as to how they attach in and if I'm missing a bracket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've made quite a bit of progress and should be able to get this bike registered tomorrow. Anyone have a easy method of lifting the rear suspension? Or even just what stock height was? I see the adjustment on top of the shock just can't get to the nut on the bottom of the clevis. I guess maybe if I lift the bike and drop the rear swingarm maybe?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
unnamed (1).jpg
Slowly getting there paint will be the last step. For right now just replacing the tires, servicing the forks and a couple other small maintenance things are left.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts