Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they guy who had the bike before me threw a 800cc kit on it (never confirmed) but it clearly was setup to race.

I'm rebuilding the carb, lines rotted and gummed everything. As far as the carb goes I'd like to just get new idle jets but I have no idea what sizes to start with if it's 800cc any help would be appreciated.

Also anyone who's been through a zx7 before if you have ideas for things worth doing while I have the carbs off I'm listening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a few from last nights disassembly. Got the carb about half done 2 of the pilots are really clogged and I can't find a wire small enough to try poking around so there soaking until I get better results.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have always liked the speedo of the 93-95. That have marks at every 2mph.

Better get new fuel pump and filter when u get the hoses.
And have auxiliary fuel bottle so u don't gum up the works if tank is dirty.

Sometimes a small needle works good on cleaning jets.
Esp pilot.

Make sure the battery is charged fully when ur ready for a test fire also. Will need it strong for sure.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A needle is a great idea idk if they sell them that small but it's worth looking. I really love this bike already it has that classic before we had computers feel. Maybe one day I'll give it a brain and injectors but I feel ignorance is bliss to these old bikes.

So I've jumped ahead and will probably be rebuilding the carb again.
I left the 2 pilots that I couldn't clear in hoping I'd get it running on choke.
I have a spare tank for these sorts of things so I hooked it up with new line and a new petcock (temporary while I clean the tank out) I've been a 2 stroke guy mostly so take it easy on me.
But serious question whats the fuel evap system all about and by that I mean how needed is it, if needed what's it doing. I noticed vacuum on the hose there but don't have it hooked up if that would be a reason for flooding lmk otherwise I'm going to be cleaning this carb until I die.

What I found was pretty funny bike won't come close to turning over after a few rounds not the battery just sounds off... Well turns out I kept flooding the engine noticed after it backfired and scared the shit out of my neighbors. If I cut the petcock off bike slowly starts to sound right and at least one cylinder is consistently trying to start.

The fucking spark plugs on these bikes are killing me I've spent a good hour grinding down a socket and still don't have it fitting right. Any local tool options/ideas are welcome. If this socket ever gets in that hole great if not I think Kawasaki wins that one and I'm buying some special socket bullshit.

So I guess I have float work to do. I'm pretty sure the previous owner messed with float heights. Is it common for zx7 floats to be not exactly level to the eye. I'll check the service manual before rebuilding it again but if anyone has been through this before and knows something I don't I'm all ears.

Some side notes first time it fired it shot a load of black carbon build up out with a ton of water? but not rusty maybe coolant but didn't really smell like it so I'm a bit worried. Tomorrow as long as the zx7 gods allow it I'll pull the spark plugs.

I have a video of it backfiring if there's enough interest I'll throw it up on youtube.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link! Any other trust manuals/ sites would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using a manual for a zx600. I've found it's close but if someone has a link for zx700r service manuals you're awesome.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ah.
Well that sounds better on the half turns
Might change the pilots to 35.

Mains 180 all 4 or like 170outter/180inner or 180outter/ 185-190inner??

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
180 outer 182 inner only checked one side I'm hoping the guy was consistent
Also has a yoshimura e47 exhaust he said he didn't like to run, it was mostly top speed bike..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Also 2 stroke dumbass question I've been avoiding taking the head cover off because I'm used to replacing gaskets and figured one thing at a time but how likely is it I'm going to be replacing the gasket? Torquing to specs not a issue. I'm just cheap.

·
Registered
630 Posts
CCMHUNT offers cleaning and i think rebuilding.
I use a copper wire from some electrical wire and unravel one strand and keep threading it through the jet until its clear

1 - 20 of 29 Posts