Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 97 ZX9 motor in my 92 7R it also has 97 model carbs on it as well. I'm almost done with the build and one of the last things I need to do besides jetting the carbs is to decide on what type of air box/filter set up I need to use for this? I don't believe a stock 91-92 ZX7 air box will work since this motor is taller on the other hand I don't think a ZX9 air box would work either? I'm sure some of you has run across this issue before so I need some answers please! What about running individual air filters? Has anybody done that with any success? I know Airtech has the Superbike style airbox for these bikes but that requires coil relocation which I don't wanna do since it has already been wired and mounted. Plus the fact of having to use the tank as the top half of the box seems cheesy since you would have to fab up some kind of seal for the top and bottom to meet and function properly.

Pipe = full Muzzy set up, 4 into 1
Jet Kit = To be determined.........
Air filter = ????

I also have a new Muzzy jet kit for a 91-92 ZX7 does anyone know if this would work for a 97 ZX9 or is it just wishful thinking by me? I'm guessing the needles and jets would be way off from what the 91-92 is? Any input on this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hey guys I have a 97 ZX9 motor in my 92 7R it also has 97 model carbs on it as well. I'm almost done with the build and one of the last things I need to do besides jetting the carbs is to decide on what type of air box/filter set up I need to use for this? I don't believe a stock 91-92 ZX7 air box will work since this motor is taller on the other hand I don't think a ZX9 air box would work either? I'm sure some of you has run across this issue before so I need some answers please! What about running individual air filters? Has anybody done that with any success? I know Airtech has the Superbike style airbox for these bikes but that requires coil relocation which I don't wanna do since it has already been wired and mounted. Plus the fact of having to use the tank as the top half of the box seems cheesy since you would have to fab up some kind of seal for the top and bottom to meet and function properly.

Pipe = full Muzzy set up, 4 into 1
Jet Kit = To be determined.........
Air filter = ????

I also have a new Muzzy jet kit for a 91-92 ZX7 does anyone know if this would work for a 97 ZX9 or is it just wishful thinking by me? I'm guessing the needles and jets would be way off from what the 91-92 is? Any input on this?

Thanks in advance!
93zx7 airbox

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
Are u sure it would fit under my tank? I thought the 93 tank was more opened up underneath than the 92 is?
I can try to fit one. I have both bikes. I'm not sure about the clearance myself.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can try to fit one. I have both bikes. I'm not sure about the clearance myself.
Ok that would be great if you could. I would appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
A 93 airbox will NOT work, unless you get rid of the ram air.
It has an intake off the left side of frame. 91-92 does not
pressurize the airbox, just runs air under the tank. correct?

·
6,877 Posts
How did you make P model carbs fit on a 9R? They take the same spacing as the J/K. If you use J/K carbs you can use the stock airbox.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you make P model carbs fit on a 9R? They take the same spacing as the J/K. If you use J/K carbs you can use the stock airbox.
Scott,

I didn't use the P model carbs. The ones I have are 1997 ZX9 stock carbs. Sorry, guess I should have clarified that earlier. ZX9 motor with ZX9 carbs - just need to know how to make em breathe and be reliable w/o constant tuning.

Has anybody out there used the individual filters at all? What are the pros & cons of that?

As cheesy as it is should I maybe look at using the Superbike air box from Airtech?

What is the benefit of using j/k carbs on a 9 motor? Won't they be too small for the bigger motor?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
If I read your 1st post correctly, you mentioned carbs off a 97 ZX7R(P model).
The only airfilter I'd use is OEM, no benefit from aftermarket..from what I've read.
38mm carbs(J/L) will give you better mid-range & the OEM ZX9(40mm)carbs better top-end.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
Scott,

I didn't use the P model carbs. The ones I have are 1997 ZX9 stock carbs. Sorry, guess I should have clarified that earlier. ZX9 motor with ZX9 carbs - just need to know how to make em breathe and be reliable w/o constant tuning.

Has anybody out there used the individual filters at all? What are the pros & cons of that?

As cheesy as it is should I maybe look at using the Superbike air box from Airtech?

What is the benefit of using j/k carbs on a 9 motor? Won't they be too small for the bigger motor?
If you put J model (91-92 ZX7) slides in the 94-97 ZX9 carbs you remove the factory restriction in the ZX9 carbs. This will give all around better performance out of the ZX9 carbs.
You may be in a position where you have to run individual filters.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The J/K frames are not set up for Ram-air like the L/M's.
You might be able to use a Superbike air-box with a central
air intake. Airtech probably makes a box for J/K's too. This way,
you'd only have to modify airbox to fit the carbs you want to
run.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
The J/K frames are not set up for Ram-air like the L/M's.
You might be able to use a Superbike air-box with a central
air intake. Airtech probably makes a box for J/K's too. This way,
you'd only have to modify airbox to fit the carbs you want to
run.
They do, but you have to lower the radiator about one inch to make it work.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A 93 airbox will NOT work, unless you get rid of the ram air.
It has an intake off the left side of frame. 91-92 does not
pressurize the airbox, just runs air under the tank. correct?
Correct! 91-92 does not pressurize air box at all. Tubes basically dispense air under the tank and on top of the motor is all.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
Are u sure it would fit under my tank? I thought the 93 tank was more opened up underneath than the 92 is?

Here's the pictures I promised. I used a 93 ZX7R tank and a 91 ZX7R tank (both aluminum) for the comparison. If anyone feels I discriminated I can use ZX7 tanks for another shoot. The airbox I used is for a 93 ZX7 (L). All 93-95 ZX7 & ZX7R airboxes are the same other than the carb adapters. Flatslides use a different adapter for the ZX7R's. Clearly this won't work.

Nested in the 93 tank:

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
91 ZX7R tank:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts