Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2006 650r and am seriously considering the new zx6r... the only thing holding me back is that once in a while i do some all day riding and also take a week trip every year. Last years trip up to Vermont from Pennsylvania proved the 650r to be a decent sport tourer. Has anyone went any distance on their zx6r. If so how did it do?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I havent gone the distance on a zx 6r, but i did about 400 miles in one day on my gsxr 750. Its not bad as long as u take brakes every now and then.
If possible try to keep the 650r and get a zx 6r.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last night I rode for like 3.5 hours straight (bout 230 miles) and by the time I was within 20 minutes of the house I was ready to get off and find a big comfy place to drop and relax. But honestly I had a 650R prior to my ZX6R and I got sore on that after like an hour, hour and half. I would say between having one of those two bikes as a sport tourer, neither would be great and lots of stop and stretches would be required. And the ZX6R is so much nicer if you like sport bikes!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
My '05 is fine for 2 to 4 hour loops but gets uncomfortable on hiway drones...Try the ZZR 600 for sport touring. Much better wind protection and ergonomics, specially if you have a passenger. I am looking at one right now for the street and making my 2005 a track/canyon carver only!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Luke is that you? Martin here - we met back when you had your 650 and I picked mine up. I followed your lead, and traded mine in too for a zx6r.. PM me if you wanna try and hook up for a ride - a few friends and I are planning a ride very early Sunday...

To answer the question and not hijack the thread.... I think my 650r was more comfortable than my zx6r but not more fun. I have done 4-5 hour ride days with a couple of stops, and was a tad bit sore, but it's worth it. MY good friend has a 650r, and rode with me, and was far more comfortable at the end of the ride. He has also gone to Laughlin and back - 8-10 hours of riding total and been very comfortable - but he did buy my Corbin seat before I sold my 650r...

I'll bet that someone will make a 2007 zx6r seat at somepoint.. Looks like Corbin may already have ones for the older models 600's....

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/ninjamenu.shtml

Last night I rode for like 3.5 hours straight (bout 230 miles) and by the time I was within 20 minutes of the house I was ready to get off and find a big comfy place to drop and relax. But honestly I had a 650R prior to my ZX6R and I got sore on that after like an hour, hour and half. I would say between having one of those two bikes as a sport tourer, neither would be great and lots of stop and stretches would be required. And the ZX6R is so much nicer if you like sport bikes!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Out of curiousity, I checked bikebandit, and indeed the seat P/N is the same between the 06 and 07 zx6r. I emailed Corbin to have them verify. If the seat hasn't changed, I may well order the front. The heck with the back, I never use it and usually leave a tail pack on it anyway - plus that cushy look is kinda - well "silly looking" on a super-sport... then again, if I had a hottie on the back, I'd probably have a different opinion.. :crazyloco

I'll bet that someone will make a 2007 zx6r seat at somepoint.. Looks like Corbin may already have ones for the older models 600's....

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/ninjamenu.shtml

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey guys-- I was talking 2 my friend and he HAD an R1 until it got stolen, then he rode a friends gsx-6 last month and fell off while braking improperly-- I've been telling him how I'm getting the 07' zx-6 in only a few months and he tells me that he's now interested the 07'650 (which I'm sorry but I believe is a pretty Ugly bike.) My question is-- what is really the difference between the 636 (or any ninja 6) and the 650 model- besides 50cc??

·
Registered
114 Posts
The '07 zx6 is a 599cc. The 636's ended with the 2006 model year. They are inline 4 engines. The 650R is a parallel twin, and produces far less horsepower than the zx's... The 650r has basic suspension and is a good bike, and even has it's place/class on the track. The zx's have a race breeding, with fully adjustable suspension, etc. The 2006 zx6r 636 will produce more mid-range power than the newer 599c 2007 zx6r, granted the '07's are completely redesigned engines - both are very strong and fast. The 650r has a nice slow smooth range of power, but is no where near as fast. The 650r's are certainly capable but a totally different bike. I must say that I enjoyed my 650r for commuting, but just didn't like not having the power when I wanted it without downshifting. Just my own preference that's all. It's definately a more forgiving ride for a newer rider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts