Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im planing on riding the track all next season and I am planing on turning my bike into a track bike. What gearing is recomended for this? is there a noticiple difference between -1 +2 and +2 rear only? +3? Also does a +2 rear sprocket require a new chain and does taking the chain off require removing the front sprocket?

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
So im planing on riding the track all next season and I am planing on turning my bike into a track bike. What gearing is recomended for this?
Gearing for a race/track bike is dependent on the actual track you're putting the bike on, not the simple fact that you're "tracking" the bike. The best bet is to find some folks at the track you plan to frequent that are running the same/similar bike and find out what gearing they are using. Worse case scenario is you just show up with stock gearing and start experimenting from there. There are also a number of different theories that go into what works best... and some of that is up to you and your style of riding.

is there a noticiple difference between -1 +2 and +2 rear only? +3?
You will notice quite a bit more acceleration by dropping a tooth in the front. Dropping one tooth in the front is kinda like adding 2.6-ish teeth to the rear.

Also does a +2 rear sprocket require a new chain
Really depends on where you start out (how many links) on your current chain. This is a good link for you to play around with and it will give you some ideas as to how much your rear axle will move forward (or backward too) --> http://www.gearingcommander.com/

and does taking the chain off require removing the front sprocket?

Thanks!
Taking a chain off requires you to "Break" the chain. Remember, it goes through the swingarm so you can't just slip it off unless you physically break one of the links. Best to have a Chain Breaker/Rivet Tool (TJ over at Rider's Discount can hook you up w/that). To break the chain, easiest thing to do is take a dremmel and dremel one of the rivet's heads down and then take your Chain tool and it will quickly push the pin out. Breaking and re-riveting a chain is VERY simple and easy as long as you have the right tool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks like I could get away with a rear +2 and get the front -1 in the future.
I'd do it the other way around... Drop one in the front, you'll like it a lot for acceleration, then decide later if you wanna do something to the rear.

Cheaper too. Not any harder either, might be slightly easier... both are simple.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Go ahead and do -1/+2 or just +3 in the rear. I did my conversion to a 520 SuperLite this time last year and love it. It is your decision though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts