Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys newbie here, I replaced the spark plugs in my bike but after I put the fuel tank back tried to start it but no go. Tank off tried a used plug from ones I’d taken out but nothing the motor turns over no problem but testin to see if the plug sparks by putting it on the engine to complete the spark circuit but no spark ? Any help from here on would be greatfully appreciated better still if anybody close by could nip round and help me out then that would be a big bonus and just to tempt you the bike is indoors and not in the cold. I’m in Shepshed no Loughborough ....thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
204 Posts
I suspect you may have disturbed a connection somewhere when you were swapping out the plugs.
Did it run fine pre plug change or did you have issues before hand ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it ran fine apart from a slight misfire so all I did was replace the plugs and coil packs but now no spark with the old plugs or new ones nor with old or new coil packs. It’s baffled me totally KevA I’m desperate to get it done with my non advanced knowledge..

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't normally help much with zx6's as I've never had one, zx-9r's are more my thing, though I do have a Haynes manual for the 6's.
After looking at the wiring diagram and my experience on the zx-9r's and from what you've said, the first place to check is the ignition switch plug and check the contacts are clean and free from corrosion, then check the righthand switching unit plugs, then pick up coil plug probably under the carbs near the clutch cover, check the ECU plugs and if everything of those does not fix it you will need to start doing resistance checks, through the ignition switch and kill switch, as any resistance in these 2 things can give no spark. If you need picture guides on these resistance checks you can find them at zx9r.net.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I’m looking now,1 question though, looking down from the left hand side of the bike to the coil packs does the red spade go on the left or right side of the coil packs ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry, I don't know that. I'll look in the Haynes later to see if it shows a picture or says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I don't know that. I'll look in the Haynes later to see if it shows a picture or says.
thanks yorkie I’ve checked all the plugs and stuff like that but just cannot find the little beggar of a fault it’s definitely electrical, i can deal with mechanical but not so much electrics beyond basics..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this helps somehow Still no Spark but I’ve noticed nothing at the fuel pump neither ??
could this be a clique as to the same problem ??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Double check your fuses, and go through the rest of wiring loom anywhere near where u were working. I tend to lose a connector when they hang down between the exhaust and where they run through the frame. Dont worry about remembering what you did, try to look at it like its the first time, inspect everything. Hopefully its something you feel dumb for missing and not something expensive lol

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
It may be staring you right in the face

#14 Pickup coil.

If this lil Guy has gone to OHM heaven you wont get anything to the igniter box.

Im pretty sure there is an OHM test for that bad boy.

Beers ago on my old 81 CB 900F, after 20 mins of riding I would lose # 2 and # 4 cylinders. After much yelling, screaming, and such, I finally narrowed it down to this beotch. When it would heat up the wire wrap would separate inside and bye bye spark impulse....

#2 Fuel pump no workee - Check Key switch. A cold solder joint may have cracked eliminating current to certain devices that require lower voltage, yet a starter may kick everybody to the curb and demand its cranking power. Something as delicate as a pickup coil might not be getting anything.

So check continuity/12 volts from the key switch molex & all points of interest further downstream.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts