Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k guys i've joined your site as you guys seem to know your stuff !!
Right then i have a zx6r g1 with 11k on the clock this bike has been off the road for 2+yrs and when i got it she would fire up and tick over and sometimes not after a while i had to boost start it and fried the generator so thought enough is enough and put it to a dealer to sort out he replaced the generator and starter solenoid and she started on the button
!Great so i thought but 100yds up the road it started missfiring and poping back to the extreme so i took it back!Right the plot thickens he has done everything he can to sort it but can't!1It has had the carbs cleaned fuel pump changed, new plugs ect but still persists in running as rough as under load!
She stars fine ticks over fine and revs freely and purrs like a kitten but as sonn as you go up the road splutters and missfire's like a good un.Feels electrical to me have i damaged the ecu with boost starting and could this cause the missfire?I have noticed a small nick in the grey wire from the ignition switch but would this be the problem as the wireitself does not seem compromised?Any ides please im at my wits end and british summers are not that long!Many thanks!!

·
11,782 Posts
Did the mechanic change out the jets when he worked on the carbs? The carbs can be clean and still have bad jetting, worn seals, etc. Just a thought.

And how's the gas? If it's been sitting for 2 years with gas in it, the gasoline has turned bad and could be a big part of the problem.

Either way, if it's idling fine and only acting up under load, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He speent 6 hrs working on the fuel delivery side of things and there was no problem with the fuel supply>But i think i have made a big error as i jumped started it from a car which had it's engine running hence the fried generator !Would this damage the ecu and would the bike still run fine stationary but not when under load??I have ordered a replacement ecu to try!Any other components that i could have damaged with my stupidity he said the regulator was fine??

·
Registered
686 Posts
sometimes dirt or other things can get caught in the gas lines...I really think ur issue is a fuel delivery problem, check all the hoses first and then go from there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think it's fuel related new fuel pump cleaned all jets filters all hoses good and fuel is fresh as the tank was resprayed? The bike won't go 50yds without spluttering and still missfires with the gas eased off and the missfire is so quick like a total lose of spark a bit like if you hit your kill switch a 100 time's a minute.I have read that you can cook the diodes in the ecu from voltage spikes so guess i will have to try the replacement ecu when it arrives to see if it sorts it?

So really my question is now would a damaged ecu cause a bike to act up like this??:headscratch

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right think i have found my problem YAAAH!!
After a weekend of changing wiring loom(which was damaged anyway) and coils with pickup pulse coil another ecu and checking the carbs again the bike was still the same!
So i took it for a ride and had a look at the fuel pump filter when riding and noticed the filter was being starved of fuel checked the pump all good so i checked the ohms on the fuel pump relay and this had total open circuits so this has been fried as well from the jump starting!Ordered a new one today and i'm 100% sure that this is the problem!!
So i guess you guys were right with your fuel diagnosis:mfclap

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have similar problem, changing coils today, got told they sometimes crack when they get hot creating a gap then creating a short circiut

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,277 Posts
It'd be really easy to test by jumping the hot wires together and listen for the pump to continually to run

1 - 10 of 10 Posts