Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confident in my ability to learn and ride within my limits. I have experience from the MSF course only, passed with ease, but I understand my skill level is still low. I'm choosing between a 650 and Zx6r. Mostly for city commuting in beautiful Atlanta Georgia.

I'm not a speed demon, just a simple guy looking for a nice ride on a sports bike. Do you think things like low power+TRC3 will make things easier to learn/ride everyday on? If you have suggestions or just want to call me stupid, please do post :)

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
I'm confident in my ability to learn and ride within my limits. I have experience from the MSF course only, passed with ease, but I understand my skill level is still low. I'm choosing between a 650 and Zx6r. Mostly for city commuting in beautiful Atlanta Georgia.

I'm not a speed demon, just a simple guy looking for a nice ride on a sports bike. Do you think things like low power+TRC3 will make things easier to learn/ride everyday on? If you have suggestions or just want to call me stupid, please do post :)
Nah bro. You're not stupid. I learned how to ride on 2000 Suzuki Katana 750 (friend of the family bike). Then, I did the right thing and bought an old 92 zx11 as my first bike. Someone had used it as a drag bike. So, you're doing better than me.

I didn't take the MSF course until 2 years later when I got a 2010 Ninja 250r. I did it all back-asswards.
So, here's the thing. Find a bike you're comfortable on. Preferably something you can flat foot or almost flat foot. I think the Ninja 650 or the Honda CBR650r is more ergonomic and has more usable power in the midrange RPM, where you'll be doing most of your street riding.

I'm in my early 30's and I would get really tired of having to spin up a zx6r engine (or similar sport bike) for any type of commuting purposes. City riding would be horrendous. However, I've never owned a 600cc sportbike class motorcycle. Always been on 750cc or bigger. With the exception of the 250r.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
I learned on my 10R, so no rocks thrown from here. IMO a liter bike is much easier to ride though. Less forgiving if you aren't careful, but much harder to stall taking off and more low end torque means you don't have to work nearly as hard for the same thing.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Take the following video with a grain of salt. This is just one example (the other being @JBear ) of someone starting out on a liter sport bike.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Whichever bike you get, do everything you did in the MSF course on that bike. Practice, practice practice practice. Friction zone, progressive braking, counter-steering(and when not to counter steer), emergency braking, low speed circles going clockwise and counter clockwise, figure 8s, etc. You'll be alright.

DanDanTheFireman has great content. Watch a few.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are AWESOME!

Love the zx6r, but I think I could end up with the 650. I'll still need to do more research, especially in the area of power curves, like my friend said in an earlier post. Forgive me for not @ing u all I'm so tired but everything will be taken into consideration :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
First bike I really rode was a 650 Versys. Great bike but I’ll never own another 650 twin from Kawi. The old ones had some casting flaw in the connecting rods from factory and I’ve had two catastrophic engine failures due to it. It was allegedly fixed in their facelift (circa 2009 I think?) but I don’t trust em.
Most of my friends have learned on 600’s and been mostly fine. You’ll be okay if you’re not a dumbass.

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
206 Posts
My first bike was a 750 turbo so a 600 would work . But like everyone said the 650 would be plenty and better for what you plan on useing it for . Less expensive for the bike and insurance . My son bought his wife one . She started out on a 250 for one season then moved up to the 650 . My son says it has plenty of power and no problem keeping up with the bigger bikes . Be carefull out there.

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's really too bad you can't find a solid 9R. It's not too small like a 6R and it's not too large like a 10R. It's a very comfortable in between. Great for a commuter bike I would think. The reason I can say this is I have a 2002 9R and even though I don't use it as a commuter I can sure see it as one. Maybe you should keep an eye out. I know the 9R can be a needle in a hay stack but you never know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nah bro. You're not stupid. I learned how to ride on 2000 Suzuki Katana 750 (friend of the family bike). Then, I did the right thing and bought an old 92 zx11 as my first bike. Someone had used it as a drag bike. So, you're doing better than me.

I didn't take the MSF course until 2 years later when I got a 2010 Ninja 250r. I did it all back-asswards.
So, here's the thing. Find a bike you're comfortable on. Preferably something you can flat foot or almost flat foot. I think the Ninja 650 or the Honda CBR650r is more ergonomic and has more usable power in the midrange RPM, where you'll be doing most of your street riding.

I'm in my early 30's and I would get really tired of having to spin up a zx6r engine (or similar sport bike) for any type of commuting purposes. City riding would be horrendous. However, I've never owned a 600cc sportbike class motorcycle. Always been on 750cc or bigger. With the exception of the 250r.
I feel confident the ZX6R would easily take out a 1992 ZX11 in the power to weight ratio department making it a faster machine. That ZX11 weights about 600lbs+ on the street wet and makes 145 HP stock at the motor. Most ZX6R‘s (636) weight 426lbs and make 131hp stock at the motor. (After installing a full system it’s more like 410lbs)

As for the newer Ninja 636 machines. Coming from my 2007 GSXR1000, and it’s just amazing how much power my new 2019 636 makes. These bikes need minimal revving at all. They’ll chug right along in 5-6th gear at low speeds. It really amazes me. Now, the 19-23 model ZX6R’s did receive a 30% gearing reduction from the prior 2018 ZX6R. So maybe this is why it feels so great riding around the city.

I’m 6’1 and 237lbs pounds. I am 31 years old. I find the ZX6R to be comfortable enough to ride for a very long time. It’s such a easily maneuvered machine, and I’m glad I made the switch from a liter bike.

As for useable torque, At about 6K RPM the ZX6R is already making the maximum torque of what the Ninja 650 would produce at about 7K RPM. And then builds up to around 48ft lbs at 10-11K RPM. Only you’d have double the HP to use.

I think it would all come down to seating position, and what feels better to the person. Then there is the price too which is a big factor. But, after driving a GSXR 1K daily for 3 years, I was hesitant to move down to a Ninja 636. I kept thinking what everyone said (You have to revv them 600’s to death) and it’s simply not true for a 636. I was shifting gears and chugging more on my GSXR1K mainly due to its extremely tall gearing. That bike would do 108 mph in the 1st gear Lol.

@splus
Let me say, I am not a speed demon either. The ZX6R is just a very comfortable and nice machine to cruise on. It feels so smooth and putts along effortlessly in the city. I can hold practically any gear, and just accelerate right through whatever. I’m coming from a large liter bike with 190HP, and I’m just amazed by the nimbleness. I rarely tap in to this bikes potential, but it’s there when I want it. It’s the only bike I have owned where my wrist won’t hurt after hours. The seat is only comfortable for about 2 hours of riding. But, I am kinda heavy. So maybe that’s just me.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I feel confident the ZX6R would easily take out a 1992 ZX11 in the power to weight ratio department making it a faster machine. That ZX11 weights about 600lbs+ on the street wet and makes 145 HP stock at the motor. Most ZX6R‘s (636) weight 426lbs and make 131hp stock at the motor. (After installing a full system it’s more like 410lbs)

As for the newer Ninja 636 machines. Coming from my 2007 GSXR1000, and it’s just amazing how much power my new 2019 636 makes. These bikes need minimal revving at all. They’ll chug right along in 5-6th gear at low speeds. It really amazes me. Now, the 19-23 model ZX6R’s did receive a 30% gearing reduction from the prior 2018 ZX6R. So maybe this is why it feels so great riding around the city.

I’m 6’1 and 237lbs pounds. I am 31 years old. I find the ZX6R to be comfortable enough to ride for a very long time. It’s such a easily maneuvered machine, and I’m glad I made the switch from a liter bike.

As for useable torque, At about 6K RPM the ZX6R is already making the maximum torque of what the Ninja 650 would produce at about 7K RPM. And then builds up to around 48ft lbs at 10-11K RPM. Only you’d have double the HP to use.

I think it would all come down to seating position, and what feels better to the person. Then there is the price too which is a big factor. But, after driving a GSXR 1K daily for 3 years, I was hesitant to move down to a Ninja 636. I kept thinking what everyone said (You have to revv them 600’s to death) and it’s simply not true for a 636. I was shifting gears and chugging more on my GSXR1K mainly due to its extremely tall gearing. That bike would do 108 mph in the 1st gear Lol.

@splus
Let me say, I am not a speed demon either. The ZX6R is just a very comfortable and nice machine to cruise on. It feels so smooth and putts along effortlessly in the city. I can hold practically any gear, and just accelerate right through whatever. I’m coming from a large liter bike with 190HP, and I’m just amazed by the nimbleness. I rarely tap in to this bikes potential, but it’s there when I want it. It’s the only bike I have owned where my wrist won’t hurt after hours. The seat is only comfortable for about 2 hours of riding. But, I am kinda heavy. So maybe that’s just me.
This is very good info on the new zx6r (636). Thank you for sharing your experience with it. This information is invaluable. Now if we can just get someone on here that has or has ridden a newer ninja 650 to spill the beans...

Reactions: tps34433

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's very cool.

I'm 5'-9" and 200lbs. I find my 2002 ZX9R very comfortable for me. The ergonomics are right on, however, it is a little heavy in the corners but I've got use to that. If I don't pay attention it falls into the corner without me even trying to turn. Just lean and I'm there.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
That's very cool.

I'm 5'-9" and 200lbs. I find my 2002 ZX9R very comfortable for me. The ergonomics are right on, however, it is a little heavy in the corners but I've got use to that. If I don't pay attention it falls into the corner without me even trying to turn. Just learn and I'm there.
lean

Reactions: KBear

·
Registered
145 Posts

I was 16 and was taught by my friend's dad how to ride. I wasn't the only one. Had a permit and we would ride often. Went to college and rode when I came back. It was a 175 on/off road bike. Not allowed on highways as it was under 250 CC. Graduate college and had a GF 2 years behind me. I lived southern NY and school was 1/2 hr from Canada. Long trip and expensive in a muscle car. Decide to get a bike and a took a loan out for an 83 GPZ 750 Kawi. Worked in NYC and took train home to the suburbs. Had bike delivered. First time riding the bike was on a 7 hr trip up. First time on a highway was on this trip. Read about counter-steering and practiced on my way up dodging the deer and raccoons. It was also my first time riding at night. Couple of pucker moments but I made it and Sunday I did the trip back. Read about counter-steering!!! Good luck.

Reactions: tps34433

·
Registered
6 Posts
PS: This is a photo of my ZX6R. I have owned numerous motorcycles since I was a teenager, including two newer GSXR 1K’s.

The ZX6R is my favorite! Now that I have kinda grown up, and I’m past the whole “I got a 1000 macho man thing” lol. I really wanted a new 600cc bike due to being preferred as the “more fun to ride” by mostly anyone. So, I went for it. And it’s TRUE! It’s a beast though. Do not be fooled, if you floor it with KTRC disabled it doesn’t feel like a 600cc at all. Also, you can easily cruise in 6th gear at 35-40mph and just accelerate right up to speed.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

1 - 18 of 18 Posts