Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confident in my ability to learn and ride within my limits. I have experience from the MSF course only, passed with ease, but I understand my skill level is still low. I'm choosing between a 650 and Zx6r. Mostly for city commuting in beautiful Atlanta Georgia.

I'm not a speed demon, just a simple guy looking for a nice ride on a sports bike. Do you think things like low power+TRC3 will make things easier to learn/ride everyday on? If you have suggestions or just want to call me stupid, please do post :)

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,415 Posts
I'm confident in my ability to learn and ride within my limits. I have experience from the MSF course only, passed with ease, but I understand my skill level is still low. I'm choosing between a 650 and Zx6r. Mostly for city commuting in beautiful Atlanta Georgia.

I'm not a speed demon, just a simple guy looking for a nice ride on a sports bike. Do you think things like low power+TRC3 will make things easier to learn/ride everyday on? If you have suggestions or just want to call me stupid, please do post :)
Nah bro. You're not stupid. I learned how to ride on 2000 Suzuki Katana 750 (friend of the family bike). Then, I did the right thing and bought an old 92 zx11 as my first bike. Someone had used it as a drag bike. So, you're doing better than me.

I didn't take the MSF course until 2 years later when I got a 2010 Ninja 250r. I did it all back-asswards.
So, here's the thing. Find a bike you're comfortable on. Preferably something you can flat foot or almost flat foot. I think the Ninja 650 or the Honda CBR650r is more ergonomic and has more usable power in the midrange RPM, where you'll be doing most of your street riding.

I'm in my early 30's and I would get really tired of having to spin up a zx6r engine (or similar sport bike) for any type of commuting purposes. City riding would be horrendous. However, I've never owned a 600cc sportbike class motorcycle. Always been on 750cc or bigger. With the exception of the 250r.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts
I learned on my 10R, so no rocks thrown from here. IMO a liter bike is much easier to ride though. Less forgiving if you aren't careful, but much harder to stall taking off and more low end torque means you don't have to work nearly as hard for the same thing.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Take the following video with a grain of salt. This is just one example (the other being @JBear ) of someone starting out on a liter sport bike.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Whichever bike you get, do everything you did in the MSF course on that bike. Practice, practice practice practice. Friction zone, progressive braking, counter-steering(and when not to counter steer), emergency braking, low speed circles going clockwise and counter clockwise, figure 8s, etc. You'll be alright.

DanDanTheFireman has great content. Watch a few.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are AWESOME!

Love the zx6r, but I think I could end up with the 650. I'll still need to do more research, especially in the area of power curves, like my friend said in an earlier post. Forgive me for not @ing u all I'm so tired but everything will be taken into consideration :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
First bike I really rode was a 650 Versys. Great bike but I’ll never own another 650 twin from Kawi. The old ones had some casting flaw in the connecting rods from factory and I’ve had two catastrophic engine failures due to it. It was allegedly fixed in their facelift (circa 2009 I think?) but I don’t trust em.
Most of my friends have learned on 600’s and been mostly fine. You’ll be okay if you’re not a dumbass.

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
206 Posts
My first bike was a 750 turbo so a 600 would work . But like everyone said the 650 would be plenty and better for what you plan on useing it for . Less expensive for the bike and insurance . My son bought his wife one . She started out on a 250 for one season then moved up to the 650 . My son says it has plenty of power and no problem keeping up with the bigger bikes . Be carefull out there.

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's really too bad you can't find a solid 9R. It's not too small like a 6R and it's not too large like a 10R. It's a very comfortable in between. Great for a commuter bike I would think. The reason I can say this is I have a 2002 9R and even though I don't use it as a commuter I can sure see it as one. Maybe you should keep an eye out. I know the 9R can be a needle in a hay stack but you never know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts