Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i’ve got a few bikes and my ‘97 F3 streetfighter sometimes runs great then other times refuses to start!

Basically i’ve changed everything, every sensor checked and changed, even stripped the whole loom and checked every wire for breaks... nothing.

So basically everything works but every so often it kills the spark, all voltages correct every sensor doing what it should.

I have a bucket of spares, relays, modules, cdi’s all work on other bikes!

No spark.

So brand new coils fitted still no spark!

Fitted a new ignition and key.... bike bursts into life, was running a bit rich and lumpy but running, then running better, then ran great, put it all back together start building up front end again, starting and running for 4 days in a row, go to start it today and the endless turning over of doom is back!

What my main question is, why would this bike eat ignitions and does anyone actually know the resistance diagram for the key switch as i want to put it on a simple switch which I can’t do (after trying it has the same crank but no start symptoms), i know i will probably get the trolls telling me that i’m some kind of criminal and I completely understand that people don’t want to post the answer on the internet but I can’t keep buying ignitions for this or i’ll have to just strip it reluctantly and sell for parts!

I love this little bike and i upgraded to 2002 bigger forks with the 6 pots on the front but its no longer reliable, at great expense, new chain and sprockets even brand new tyres and i’ve not been able to even get it to the mot station recently to renew the ticket, when it happens I’m totally stranded can’t even hot wire it home!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Everything is new on this but i’ve lost faith in it!

Thanks in advance guys,
Scott.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That's not very polite especially as you want our help Scott, I had actually decided to weigh in with some advice but.............

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not very polite especially as you want our help Scott, I had actually decided to weigh in with some advice but.............

Hi,

I joined this site before (at least i think it was) and the minute i mentioned wanting the resistance i was literally shot down in flames, no offence meant, I probably should of said that tho in hindsight!

So sorry but if you can help, it seems to be a very common problem the intermittent ignition on these bikes?

i’m assuming its because the voltage drops on the other wires even although the grey is at resistance and then the ecu thinks its been hotwired?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,277 Posts
I have a couple of questions

1. Is the replacement ignition OEM?

2. What other bikes do you own that don't experience this issue?

My 7 goes through 1 starter relay every 12 mos. Like clockwork. So, I'm curious about your electrical gremlin. I know you've said you've been through the harness.

3. How do your grounds look and have all the grounds been accounted for?

4. If it's eating ignition switches like candy, then you have an over-volting issue/lack of resistance issue (as you stated). Just depends on how you look at it.

5. What's the history of this bike? Did you make it a street fighter build or did you buy it already as a street fighter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My 7 goes through 1 starter relay every 12 mos. Like clockwork. So, I'm curious about your electrical gremlin. I know you've said you've been through the harness.

4. If it's eating ignition switches like candy, then you have an over-volting issue/lack of resistance issue (as you stated). Just depends on how you look at it.

5. What's the history of this bike? Did you make it a street fighter build or did you buy it already as a street fighter?
Hi,

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your response.

Since posting still not getting a start but now a few pops and farts and then huge explosions, i had it started but was running eye wateringly rich before this and lumpy so i defo have an ignition issue!

I couldn’t get a new genuine ignition nor a new loom as they seem to be discontinued so i got an aftermarket one from Motorcycle Products, both the coils and the ignition are the same brand.

I completely removed and then stripped the tape off the loom and checked every wire and contact on it for continuity, i have added a few earths from engine to body, and battery to body too, i have removed and replaced these a few times also to see if it helps.

I have 3 used cdi’s, 3 of every relay, 3 rectifiers, new ignition, new coils, it charges fine if i can get it to run, sometimes it sounds awesome, sometimes it is missing, sometimes it wont start and quite frankly i’m losing hope.

I have bought some 100 ohm resistors and the quad bike 5 wire loom ignition to make ip a cheap ignition, i just wish there was a conversion to get rid of the security of the cdi cutting the ignition if it senses that the grey wire has too much voltage.

I tune cars and sell stand alone engine management systems but i cannot justify spending more than the bike is worth doing this to get it to run, on paper it shouldn’t be doing this and i simply cannot understand the intermittent issues this has!

I can only assume the 3 other live wires in the ignition are reading different voltages meaning the restricted grey wire appears to the cdi to be hotwired?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your response.

Since posting still not getting a start but now a few pops and farts and then huge explosions, i had it started but was running eye wateringly rich before this and lumpy so i defo have an ignition issue!

I couldn’t get a new genuine ignition nor a new loom as they seem to be discontinued so i got an aftermarket one from Motorcycle Products, both the coils and the ignition are the same brand.

I completely removed and then stripped the tape off the loom and checked every wire and contact on it for continuity, i have added a few earths from engine to body, and battery to body too, i have removed and replaced these a few times also to see if it helps.

I have 3 used cdi’s, 3 of every relay, 3 rectifiers, new ignition, new coils, it charges fine if i can get it to run, sometimes it sounds awesome, sometimes it is missing, sometimes it wont start and quite frankly i’m losing hope.

I have bought some 100 ohm resistors and the quad bike 5 wire loom ignition to make ip a cheap ignition, i just wish there was a conversion to get rid of the security of the cdi cutting the ignition if it senses that the grey wire has too much voltage.

I tune cars and sell stand alone engine management systems but i cannot justify spending more than the bike is worth doing this to get it to run, on paper it shouldn’t be doing this and i simply cannot understand the intermittent issues this has!

I can only assume the 3 other live wires in the ignition are reading different voltages meaning the restricted grey wire appears to the cdi to be hotwired?

I bought it off a friend already streetfightered it was fine for 3 years then i started to get the odd non start, a little wiggle of the coil and it would burst into life hence the scrutiny of the loom and changing the coils again!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I bought it off a friend already streetfightered it was fine for 3 years then i started to get the odd non start, a little wiggle of the coil and it would burst into life hence the scrutiny of the loom and changing the coils again!
Can you still wiggle the coil to get it to start?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Have you already installed the 100ohm resistors?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So finally found the problem!!!

The connection in the ignition switch for the brown wire at the plastic connector was weak, so i pulled it out and hardwired it and now runs sweet as a nut!

Obviously my ‘wiggle area’ by the RH coil is where the loom runs up to the front of the bike so it was pure chance it was just moving it enough to get a better connection to start.

When the bike was running rough the poor connection was making the volatage drop on the brown wire making the cdi sense a voltage difference similar to the grey wire and cutting the ignition.

I knew thats where my problem was but every time i had tested the voltages i must of had it taught for a better connection.

But happy days, i just did the ‘i fixed it dance!’

Thank you guys for all your help!

ScottieDog!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts