Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,573 Posts
Thanks, that did help, so I took them out.
View attachment 22068
They're both stuck to the lids but look the right way using a combo of the pics and diagrams. Its a bit oily in there.
Its bloody noisy without the tubes in, thumb over the hole is quiet. So seems good to me.

Still really nice idle with everything re attached, needle doesn't bob about at all.
Ctc probably was a good shout cos the engine does sound quieter but not eliminated the clattering.
So I'm gonna go for the head soon but UK weather is amazing right now and I'm missing out
That's how it always goes. Beautiful weather and can't ride your own bloody bike.:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Very true, but I do have my other bike but using way too much fuel in my opinion. Or it's the cost of the stuff *rant

So I dragged out its old broken engine considering a head swap,its been sat for years waiting to crack the crank case. The heads all there and was working so I cleaned it up. There was a lot of blockage in the air suction tunnels (from the reed valves above)
And then I realised this idea is a gamble, what if it doesnt work?

Now I'm gonna fix this old lump instead and put it back where it belongs. Issues aren't bad.
Rod knock - bearing gone on piston 2, and 3 is going.
Cam chain guides completely worn, chain worn into the tunnel sides- luckily not too deep yet.
Bits of plastic and metal in the oil pick up filter to suit.
3 broken sump bolts.
That's it.
I gotta crack the case still but what I can see looks good, il follow the book for new bearing/races, slap in a fresh cam chain and guides, presto! Maybe il start a fresh thread for it.

Then I can investigate this issue completely, I won't give up as it is a working engine and I'm sure when I find the problem it could help somebody else.

·
Registered
1992 ZX-7(J) 2017 Z650
43 Posts
I've never done any of that and will be following to hopefully learn a thing or two. Took a motor apart once, got it bored and honed, new pistons, lost interest and got rid of it as scrap (it was only going to be like +5hp on an EX500). Still regret not putting it back together because I was so close.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope you get it solved and on the road again 👍

21 - 23 of 23 Posts