Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up peoples
So the bike is a 2006 ZX6R 636D and the only way to completely kill the bike is to disconnect the negative battery cable.
The stop switch works to stop the engine while its running but the ignition switch does nothing (you can ride the bike with the ignition switch in the off position without the key even being in the switch)
I have disconnected the ignition switch and slaved in a new ignition switch and still nothing
The only way to turn the bike on (engine running) is to get the battery voltage to be above 14.5 Vdc and i have used multiple new batteries
The battery has a parasitic draw of .96 so im assuming something is taking way too much power
the draw doesnt drop when I disconnect any of the fuse from the fuse box
I have tested the Stator and the Rectifier and the Starter Solenoid and
i have tested the relay box and all the relays click and all the test are good

I am just learning about bikes so i have no idea what it could be.... any help would be greatly appreciated in case anyone has ever dealt with something like this

·
Registered
785 Posts
Looks like its old and corroded and maybe malfuctioning.
I would clean up all the contacts with a small knife/sandpaper. Replace the fuse.
The first issue is, that it wont stop cranking. Center your search into the solenoid and starter button/ switch clean up, and make sure the wires are not "arcing" at the solenoid area by insulating them with the rubber boot/elec. tape.

I suspect the solenoid is bad/cheap/and sticks closed when power is applied.
tap the solenoid with a screwdriver after it happens again. If you can reattach the battery again without it cranking, your solenoid is sticking!
At every ground,battery connection, and electrical component will be corossion, these all contribute to voltage drop while cranking.
Clean all grounds and terminals

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like its old and corroded and maybe malfuctioning.
I would clean up all the contacts with a small knife/sandpaper. Replace the fuse.
The first issue is, that it wont stop cranking. Center your search into the solenoid and starter button/ switch clean up, and make sure the wires are not "arcing" at the solenoid area by insulating them with the rubber boot/elec. tape.

I suspect the solenoid is bad/cheap/and sticks closed when power is applied.
tap the solenoid with a screwdriver after it happens again. If you can reattach the battery again without it cranking, your solenoid is sticking!
At every ground,battery connection, and electrical component will be corossion, these all contribute to voltage drop while cranking.
Clean all grounds and terminals
ok bet i ordered one from amazon just to slave it in to see if it changes anything and im going to go around and clean up all the grounding spots to see if anything changes
I appreciate it

·
Registered
785 Posts
The ones from amazon will be no better than the ones from ebay
its all junk.
good luck bro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts