Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 07 ZX6r, just curious is the first service (that i am supposed to have done around 500miles) just an oil change or is there more to it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
yeah it's for the oil change and what not like the guy said below. incase you read what i said before i read your question wrong, i was reading too fast. my bad. Oh and since you just got your bike, please read my other post..."Grinding in neutral". THANKS!

·
Registered
131 Posts
They are supposed to change the oil....check major bolts for torque readings to make sure they havnt vibrated loose....and check various things like throttle play and clutch. Just a few things you can do at home for 300 dollar cheaper basically.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They are supposed to change the oil....check major bolts for torque readings to make sure they havnt vibrated loose....and check various things like throttle play and clutch. Just a few things you can do at home for 300 dollar cheaper basically.
I was told by the dealer that it would only be around 100 bucks for the 1st service. Also, I was told that you need to bring your owners manual to the dealer and they will fill it out. This way everything is documented and there should not be problems in the future if warrenty issues come up or when selling you bike for an upgrade... or whatever. But if it is true, about the 100 bucks. That might be the way to go. It's worth calling them and asking. Because the filter and oil change yourself is around 35..
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
131 Posts
^^ Yah I was quoted a much higher price than 100 dollars. Everyone is different though. But for my price its worth doing myself haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dealer service

I paid Like 500 bucks to my dealer. they have a VIP program and they take care of all scheduled maintenance and its same day service. So i thought that was a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had my '07 zx6r's first service on 4/27/07.

i was in the 600 mile range. Here's the list of things on my invoice.... note, i also bought my new windshield with this total.

Parts
----------------------
filter-assy-oil **10.94**
windscreen **89.95**
3x kaw drum oil 10w40 **11.85**
PARTS SUBTOTAL **112.74**

Labor
---------------------
Initial including: **69.00**
initial service,
oil/filter change
serviced chain
lubed and adjusted cables and controls
tire pressure
check for leaks
checked brakes and steering
checked coolant
installed windshield

------------
total: $181.74
-------------

I hope that gives you a rough idea!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Holly crap guys!!!! Is this big city cost or something. Kawasaki City does it for 100 - 125.. and believe it or not, the Kawasaki dealer in Longview Texas charges 70.00 yup 70 bucks... and they are same day service as well. Tuesdays-Fridays they will service while you wait even... oh wait you did say you got a windshield... so yeah... but 500 bucks...Renton.. never heard of such a thing on a first service.. Sounds like you should be asking around.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I beleive to keep it under warranty the require you to bring it in.
$70 - $100 sounds great - anything more seems liek too much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The dealer in DC told me the first service would be $200. I was at my parent's house down near UVA and they Kawi dealer there did it for $35.

·
Registered
13 Posts
so truthfully how important is it to have the dealer do it? I have all the tools and would rather change the oil myself but want to make sure my 1 yr warranty stays in effect.

Called to setup an appointment for this thursday and was told they would have it ready by monday!?!? Sounds like some crap to me but I am new to this also....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Um, it's 1.5 hours of labor. They shouldn't need the bike overnight. It's basicly just and oil change, checking valve clearance, and cleaning/lubing/tightening cables (throttle/brake) and chain.

·
Registered
582 Posts
12 000km service. zx636 '06: I did the oil and filter. Dealer did the rest. $Aus 174. Still under warranty.
gammac

·
Registered
144 Posts
I whole heartedly recommend changing your own oil and doing other routine maintenance but I'd always let the dealer handle the initial service. They do a lot of stuff to make sure the bike is going to last a long time. It also is required that the dealer do the initial service for the warranty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I whole heartedly recommend changing your own oil and doing other routine maintenance but I'd always let the dealer handle the initial service. They do a lot of stuff to make sure the bike is going to last a long time. It also is required that the dealer do the initial service for the warranty.
very true...the first service IS more than just an oil change and is probably the most important service...one thing missed on the first service could just snowball into a bigger problem. Let them do the first service and then you can take it from there. It is Pricey, $300 for me but hey I spent 10k on a bike I want it to last. Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 26 Posts