Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
There's scant experience with 250 4-cylinders over here since they don't sell them in the States, but the cure for camchain rattle on ANY machine is a manual tensioner. No idea where you would find one for your bike, but a good machine shop could make one if they knew the thread size, opening size and bolt length needed.

Bikes used to come with manual tensioners then some engineer figured it was one more thing that needed to be idiot-proofed and invented the automatic tensioner. Unfortunately, they tend to be a bit wimpy with age and cease doing a proper job.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
When's the last time you had your valves done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never done the valves, the previous owner might have. The odo says it has 30,xxxkm on the clock, but I don't trust it.

So i'm going to assume they've never been done.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
I'm not saying you shouldn't check the valve clearances, but valves tend to get quieter as they lose clearance, not noisier, so I doubt that's the source of the rattle.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'm not saying you shouldn't check the valve clearances, but valves tend to get quieter as they lose clearance, not noisier, so I doubt that's the source of the rattle.
The zxr engines sound like tractors especially with tight valves.

·
6,637 Posts
So they are different than every other engine? Where does the noise come from with tight valves?
I've never figured it out either, but 92 is correct. The tighter they get the louder they get, especially on the finger rocker engines.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
I've never figured it out either, but 92 is correct. The tighter they get the louder they get, especially on the finger rocker engines.
Learn something new every day. Now I gotta find out why.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Almost bought a 9 last year. I need to get my outbuilding put up and then I'll have room for some more toys.
+1 sounds like a plan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts