Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
I've been riding on & off for 20 years and currently riding a gorgeous ZX6R (nicknamed SONIA :) ) but I'm looking for more power. I'm looking at a ZX14R (good offer @ hand) so what do you guys thing / suggest / advice etc....

Will appreciate your inputS :smile

· Registered
6,392 Posts
bring the cash with you and go ride it.
You might even consider swapping bikes with the seller and the both of you take a 50 mile ride. Everyone I know who test rides a 14 in excellent condition comes away impressed. Post some pix when you buy it, OK?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get it, take some time to get used to the power difference compared to the 6.
.....Thax Hammer. I've been on a CBR1100 for some time, is the 300cc diff dat much :)?....guess not, but sound advice all the same.

bring the cash with you and go ride it.
You might even consider swapping bikes with the seller and the both of you take a 50 mile ride. Everyone I know who test rides a 14 in excellent condition comes away impressed. Post some pix when you buy it, OK?
...Manning, If I decide on it I will put up some pics. As a matter of fact, I have 3 pics of it already but this forum gives me a DAMN HEADACHE :banghead everytime i want to upload pics....:headscratch

And put your tire supplier on speed dial!:rotflmao
..........:eek:hno :eek:hno , Good tires r hard to come by in this corner of the world...hahaha!. But, Will do anyways. Thx.

· Registered
941 Posts
Hello All.
I've been riding on & off for 20 years and currently riding a gorgeous ZX6R (nicknamed SONIA :) ) but I'm looking for more power. I'm looking at a ZX14R (good offer @ hand) so what do you guys thing / suggest / advice etc....

Will appreciate your inputS :smile
If you like the track ergonomics of your zx6 then get a zx-10.

2006 ZX6: Wheelbase: 54.7 Weight: 404 lbs dry
2006 ZX1O: Wheelbase: 54.7 Weight: 386 lbs dry

If you want a more relaxed riding position and incredible power then a ZX14.

In the San Francisco Bay area, Under 5K mile Craigslist ZX-14s commonly come up $5500+-

2006 ZX14: Wheelbase: 57.5 Weight: 474 dry

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ejmesq thats some nice analysis. if I understand what u mean with track ergonomics, then yeah the zx10 is a nicer option for now I think. I can probably go for a 14 later in the year. I can maybe sell off the 6 and upgrade to the 14 then I can have the track riding experience with the 10 & the "relaxed" power cruise of the zx14.

what u think?

· Registered
18 Posts
Any year ZX14 will be all the power you need. It won't give you that race rep cornering, but open road stability is superior and you'll love the torque. I had a Triumph Daytona 675 as one of my bikes prior to this and it was a blast for Sunday runs on twisties but was hard to take on the open road because of the weight and short wheel base. If you have the money to get the 2012, why not? If not, look for a low mileage leftover that some bench racer wants to trade in. In 40+ years riding, I've never had a better bike for road riding.

· Registered
56 Posts
Buy the 14 imo. I've always been a 600 guy. I owned 3 gsxr 600's & a newer cbr 600. On a quest for more power I bought a triumph S3 and only rode it for a season. Wasn't my type of bike, so I narrowed it down to a BMW or a 14 & the 14 won for me because of it's power & more relaxed riding style. I haven't regretted my choice & really love my kawi. I was able to find a good deal on a 14 used from my cousin & was able to dump a good amount of mods into it with the $ I saved vs buying the S1000RR.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brooksie and shawn thanks for your useful replies. here's why. brooksie, u described exactly what I need, the pleasure of a relaxed Sunday ride with the knowledge that I have that amazing torque at my disposal. as for "banking & cornering" I will always have the zx6 (sonia) . shawn my man, comfort & speed Is what I'm looking for coz our club (of which I'm the PRO :)) do travel out to other states & do rides for charity, etc & so I gorra be comfortable and not have annoying back issues even with back straps.

thanks gentlemen, you've made my choice MUCH easier 4 me .

homms (abuja, Nigeria ) .

· Registered
18 Posts
brooksie and shawn thanks for your useful replies. here's why. brooksie, u described exactly what I need, the pleasure of a relaxed Sunday ride with the knowledge that I have that amazing torque at my disposal. as for "banking & cornering" I will always have the zx6 (sonia) . shawn my man, comfort & speed Is what I'm looking for coz our club (of which I'm the PRO :)) do travel out to other states & do rides for charity, etc & so I gorra be comfortable and not have annoying back issues even with back straps.

thanks gentlemen, you've made my choice MUCH easier 4 me .

homms (abuja, Nigeria ) .
Don't mistake the ZX14, in any form, to be a gentleman's express. I like the old school cornering, which requires set-up to a corner and really moving on the seat. Modern 600 class bikes can be stood on their ear last second and turned hard in to corner, easily adjusting lines to make up for mistakes. The ZX requires commitment and steady throttle. While it does do "sport touring" (my version of sport touring is a little more radical than a VFR), it is one hot bike.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't mistake the ZX14, in any form, to be a gentleman's express. I like the old school cornering, which requires set-up to a corner and really moving on the seat. Modern 600 class bikes can be stood on their ear last second and turned hard in to corner, easily adjusting lines to make up for mistakes. The ZX requires commitment and steady throttle. While it does do "sport touring" (my version of sport touring is a little more radical than a VFR), it is one hot bike.
..........Ok, Gotcha Brooksie :smile .

Please, I'm wondering if you (or any one else for that matter) can help a Brother out :clap ....i cant get a report on this Kawasaki bike; vin no JKAZXT20ABA036632 . I used carfax.com but got nothing. Can you help just to get me basic info, like Exact YEAR & MODEL....not interested in anything else really....thanks !

HOMMS!

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I want to thank all you guys who commented on my thread and gave me some insight into the "BEAST" :)....It's much appreciated.

After a little bit of more thinking and head-scratching, i've decided to go with the ZX12-R. The thinking is, let me eeeeaaze into (tho by not much difference to the 14) the Kawi POWER with a 12.

Culled from Wikipedia.com:-

"...The ZX-12R is a sport bike that was made from 2000 to 2006 by Kawasaki. It was known as a contender to be the fastest production motorcycle, and for its role in bringing to a truce the escalating competition to build a faster motorcycle."
(article continues)

Thanks People & see you here another time, I HOPE :)!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.