Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

ZX14 to go with a Concours 14?

10K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  brooksie 
#1 ·
Have been looking at the ZX14 for what seems like forever...

I already ride a 2009 Concours and love the bike, but wondering about adding a ZX14 (not the "new" ZX14-R) and found a pretty good deal on a new one! Of note I already have a "2nd" bike with a 2004 HD Fatboy that I really love (for what it is) and have no desire in parting with it, so truth be told the ZX would be a 3rd bike! :tard Not looking to part with the Connie either since I figure it would remain my touring bike and see some duty (along with the ZX) on a 60 mile round-trip daily commute but really kept for longer hauls. Another curious note, I traded an ElectraGlide Ultra for the Concours so there is a disturbing trend developing according to my wife! :evil :crazyloco

I know the ZX is lighter and more powerful and I see it as a different bike, but just how different is the rub. I will say that I opted for the Connie since I wanted the utility and the more relaxed riding position since I have an issue with my hip and can't tuck in on an aggressive sport bike. If I understand the reviews of ZX riders, the position on the ZX is a little more relaxed compared to "most" sport bikes.

So I guess my real question related to duplication and overlap between the C14 and the ZX. The Connie is quick and has been tweaked a bit with a PCV (with Autotune O2 sensor), flies removed and modified exhaust consisting of a 2007 (catless) ZX14 header and dual V&H CS1 slip-ons.

Although I am fishing for an excuse to get the ZX14 (which I realize I DO NOT need) I am really interested in the opinions, especially riding impressions from folks that have ridden (or even own) both!

Thanks!

Allen

See less See more
#2 ·
I understand your quandary.

I've ridden the C-14. A great bike.

Perhaps my next bike.

I didn't want the complexity.

I wanted versatility.

I have a ZRX, which I've modded, and I will never part with the bike.

I have an XRL, which I too have modded, and I will never get rid of the bike.

I wanted a bike to use as a GT mount, If I decided to pack for a weekend away, it's ready to go, in a sporting fashion. It has enough power and enough capability to keep up with most of the folks I ride with. The folks with the C-14s, have difficulty doing so.

The C-14 is a fine bike, and perhaps in a few years, when I want a more refined mount it will be my selection.

I'm not ready for the C-14 yet, and my ZX-14 fills my needs just fine.

Good luck in your decision!

#3 ·
I have never ridden a C14, but I also own an FJR besides my ZX 14. I am very pleased with this combination. The ZX riding position might not be as aggressive as a liter sport bike, but it is close enough for all practical purposes. At least compared to my FJR and your Connie, the knees will be more cramped and there will be more weight on the wrists. It doesn't bother me, though, I have come to wish my FJR had lower bars.

#4 ·
I made my 2008 Zx14 into a cruiser with the LSL bar kit, Buell pegs and a C14 seat. It is smoother down the hiway than my beemer and with 175 rwhp not much will get in front you unless you let it.
If the 14 had cruise control the beemer could get retired -well not really because it is a 2009 K13GT that I use as a bagger.

Old fat guys like me cannot do the kiddie krunch on a standard 14.

#5 ·
The C-bike has better wind protection, convenient shaft drive and is probably a better two-up bike, but as far as I can see, those are the only advantages. The ZX is lighter, faster, and better-handling, especially riding solo. You can alter the riding position with bar kits, different pegs and seats, add hard or soft bags and increase wind protection (somewhat) Did I mention it's faster? I plan on doing some long distance riding on mine this summer and will report back on its tourability.

#6 ·
I have a 92 GSX1100G with shaft drive.I bought it 3 years ago to repace my 01 ZRX1200.I rode it home,to a storage unit then to my garage I bought.Last time I rode it was 3 years ago.The same time I bought my Ninja,hmmm.It is so heavy it just didn't handle right.But it was very smooth and a very good looking bike.Has a Corbin seat with backrest.The wife has been bugging me to get it running.She went on the Ninja and I guess going 100 real quick scared her.
[/IMG]

#7 ·
[/IMG]

#8 ·
[/IMG]

#9 ·
I appreciate the comments so far- no bashing and some good perspectives. I thought for a moment about trading a bike but couldn't justify it. The Fatboy is perfect for what I use it for- a putt-around with iconic style, absolutely rock-solid reliability and very easy (and fun) to work on. Yea, I have loud V&H pipes on it and still love the sound of it and love rolling thru the hills with one of my daughters on the back on a lazy weekend. The Connie is comfy, quick, reliable and can rack up serious miles; I rode from (near) Jacksonville FL to Newport RI and back with no issues other that a ticket in North Carolina!

Love the "Kiddie-Krunch" comment! I can say I never really looked seriously at the ZX when I bought my C14 just because of that. It was a big enough leap going from a full-dresser Geezer Glide to the Concours. I would still opt for the Concours for touring vice upgrading the ZX for touring duty- it just does it so well. The "Krunch" is still a worry but since I have not had the chance to ride a ZX, I can't objectively say how it would actually fit me. Another reason to solicit comparisons between it and a C14...

So three core questions I guess- Riding position comparison, overlap and now price...

Guess my biggest worry is that there is not enough difference between the two and that I would actually prefer the Connie. I know that may solicit a lot of moans-and-groans from the group here (ZX14 riders) :lol

I really don't need another bike, but I have drooled over the ZX14 for years and found a deal "almost" too good to pass up- a new 2010 (silver/black "limited" edition) for ~$10,400 OTD. Not sure if that is really a smokin' deal or the norm for a leftover of this vintage but looks pretty good to me.

Since the new and improved ZX-14R is on the way I figure they are interested in moving it out to make room, hence the apparent good price. Truth be told, I actually like the "old" version of the 14 better. Funny since I prefer the 2008-2009 Concours over the newer versions as well... :dunno

I really need to stop going into bike shops.... :eek:hno

/r

Allen

#10 ·
Not really sure what to say or add. I haven't ridden any of the bikes you own.
I love my 2007 14. Great all around bike. Nice for riding 2 up.
I don't think I've heard anyone regret buying one.
Once the "new" 14 gets any bugs worked out that it may have, it will be my next bike.

#11 ·
Personally I would just stick with the Connie. Seems you have done some nice performance upgrades and in reality who uses all the ZX14 power all the time, or partially some of the time? I find myself puttering around and never on full boost, if at all for the most part, I like the HP/TQ! Never have to shift down though to pass anyone and everyone:smile!!

What I do like about the 14 is its ability to carve corners well, has great brakes and the susp has good adjustability to suit many riders.

Since I cannot afford multiple bikes I have made my ZX14 into your Connie in a somewhat aftermarket way. I have a sport bike that loves corners and a luggage hauler that allows me to travel anywhere I like. I do not carry a passenger ever so that's never a concern.

#12 ·
I have a 2009 C14, 2009 ZX14 and a 2011 ZX10R, with Area P, TiForce and Yoshi exhaust systems respectively. All are modded to 150, 170 and 180 hp for each version.
I never considered myself locked into any particular motorcycle manufacturer, but Kawasaki has really been nailing it over the past five years with each of their latest product offerings. Each bike is significantly different enough that I would not give up any of the three. The C14 is in no way a ZX14. The ZX14 is as smooth, maybe smoother than my particular C14. The ZX14 is the best all round motorcycle that I have ever owned - it really is that good. The torque and acceleration, handling and braking are outstanding. It is very comfortable (with 1" bar risers) for all day cruising. The 10r is faster than the 09 ZX14 and certainly at 430 lbs will easily out handle the bigger bike, but for day in and out riding the ZX14 does it all. If you get one you may find, like me that it becomes your favorite.

#13 ·
I had a CBRXX and wanted something different. There was a nice Connie at a very good price I was looking at, and I was allowed to take it for a long spin. It was a quality machine, but I preferred the FJR I had rented in Arizona better, and the test ride cooled my interest. There was a nice ZX14 in another shop and I mulled it over for a while, until they let me take it for a spin (I guess I was being a pain the a$$). The "mulling" stopped instantly - THIS was the bike I lusted after!!!! Bought it right then and there so nobody else could beat me to it! LOL I am absolutely in LOVE with my ZX! I have ridden dozens and dozens of bikes, and the ZX is at the top of the list. Is there any way you could find a used one that the dealer would let you ride???? Only caveat I can think of is whether or not your significant other would like the rear on a ZX. BTW, I have a Yamaha 1900 Raider for when I feel the V Twin urge.

#14 ·
ZERO chance of any passengers on the ZX14.

The wife doesn't like riding 2-up (hence keeping the Fatboy since she rides it) and my girls ride with me on either the Fatboy or the Connie when putting around.

What would your general consensus be for pricing? Asking to figure out what would be a good, great and SMOKIN' deal on a new 2010 (black/silver). With the current rebates out there, as mentioned I was thinking of offering $10,400 OTD but not sure if that is actually within reason.

/r

Allen

#15 ·
My new C14 ABS

I just brought a 2009 Concours ABS home about two hours ago. I also have a ZX14 and a BMW R1200C. I rode that Connie today and fell drop dead in love with it. I just ordered a Throttlemeister and a fender eliminator for it. The Connie only has 1250 miles on it. It is red and as sweet as a cheerleader's kiss. I can tell you that the Connie and the ZX14 are NOT the same bike. I have no desire to ride two up on the ZX14. It is a solo bike only for me. I have taken long trips on it. I rode it over to Eastern Oregon and Northern Nevada a few times. Long desert roads that go on forever. Climbs up into the mountains and long runs beside old, dry lake beds. Many miles real fast. But I really would like to ride with my lady and so I got the Connie. I caint wait for the spring time. Buy the 14. You think that Connie is fast? They say shit in the South and it has three syllables.

#18 ·
I guess there is Devine intervention at work here... :thumbdown

I stopped by the dealership yesterday to get firm numbers and, if it was pretty close, stroke the check.

They are shipping the bike out on Monday on trade to another dealership in NJ. The trade is thru Kawasaki and is a done-deal. :banghead

Probably for the best since I really don't have the cash on hand to throw at a 3rd bike, especially in this economy... I did ride the Connie to the dealership- I had her in lay-up for the winter but couldn't stand it anymore! With a few spots to wind her out a little and hear those V&H duals sing and tossed around some tight back roads, fell back into lust with her! :crazyloco

Having recently moved to New England, I did discover that one must be really careful in the twisties this time of year thanks to the sand and salt accumulated in the turns. :eek:hno No incidents, but there is a lot of stuff on the roads and I am just not accustomed to it.

I really appreciate all of the comments. In the end it has illustrated to me that the two bikes really are very different. I am convinced they are both the best at what they do, they just do it a little differently.

/r

Allen

#19 ·
I love the ZX as a sport touring bike. I just throw some soft luggage/tail trunk on and it's good to go. OE tires are OK in straight line action but horrible for any type of cornering and rain.Any brand of appropriate tire will be a massive improvement. Forget the touring shield crap on this bike. Stock shield works just great on the road. It was designed to get you to over 180mph, so why get all the extra wind noise and buffeting? Get some peg lowering kit and a more comfortable seat to put on for long rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.