Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For ZX14 riders~

Easy and simple: What tires are you using, and what mileage do you get out of them?

I currently get 7000km out of my IRC tires, medium compound... but I'm not on a 14...

·
Registered
41 Posts
3500km on my GSXR 1000 wifeys 750 dosn't seem to get much better. BT014's

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have stock tire going on 8000 miles on my 07 zx14

·
Registered
266 Posts

Wow, I got 1200 miles on mine in 3 weeks an thought I was doing good. 8000 miles, bro! :clap Glad to see the tires are holding up. Well, since we are speaking of tires, what seems to be a favorite tire to replace the stock ones (I realize such a discussion is somewhat akin to asking about the "best color" but still, I'd like to hear from folks on their thoughts on aftermarket tires once their stocks do wear out)?

I'm thinking about the one of the Michelin Pilot series. Either the Michelin Pilot Sport or Michelin Pilot Power or the Michelin Pilot Road. I'm LEANING to the Pilot Sport. I'm in Vegas, so it doesn't rain much. I tour only on my Harley so I don't get caught in the rain much with my ZX-14 when it does in fact rain. I ride mostly street, mountains, and for sport fun out side of town's edge where I tend to, um, 'get on it a bit' (I personally commute in my cage, not my bikes as the drivers are NUTZ in this town).

And if this is a thread-hijack my apologies I can post elsewhere, but it seemed like a tire discussion was going on, and the natural progression of "how long do they last" is "what do I get now when they are worn out".

:smile

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, I got 1200 miles on mine in 3 weeks an thought I was doing good. 8000 miles, bro! :clap Glad to see the tires are holding up. Well, since we are speaking of tires, what seems to be a favorite tire to replace the stock ones (I realize such a discussion is somewhat akin to asking about the "best color" but still, I'd like to hear from folks on their thoughts on aftermarket tires once their stocks do wear out)?

I'm thinking about the one of the Michelin Pilot series. Either the Michelin Pilot Sport or Michelin Pilot Power or the Michelin Pilot Road. I'm LEANING to the Pilot Sport. I'm in Vegas, so it doesn't rain much. I tour only on my Harley so I don't get caught in the rain much with my ZX-14 when it does in fact rain. I ride mostly street, mountains, and for sport fun out side of town's edge where I tend to, um, 'get on it a bit' (I personally commute in my cage, not my bikes as the drivers are NUTZ in this town).

And if this is a thread-hijack my apologies I can post elsewhere, but it seemed like a tire discussion was going on, and the natural progression of "how long do they last" is "what do I get now when they are worn out".

:smile
Out here in mostly desert with straight roads for miles on end. no twisties or anything. I can go a whole tank and still have chicken strips. You only being 2 hrs from me knows that when you take I-15 towards Baker on your way to Barstow is nothing but straight desert hwy. So my tread wear is a little bit better than someone in the mountians with twisties. I never really gotten on the throttle either. I basicly just cruise with it. Never hot dogged with it yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Btw I would replace with the Pilot sport. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
6 Posts

Damm, my stock tires were gone at 4000 miles (well the rears were shot). Put on Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and it feels like a new bike in the corners. I have 2500 miles on the new tires and they are holding up OK considering how soft they are.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I got 7000kms (4200 miles) on the stock Dunlops.

Switched over to the Michelin PP's and I echo connor's post... it feels like a totally different bike. Wet, Dry, or Cold pavement doesn't matter. These tires hook up without issue.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got 7000kms (4200 miles) on the stock Dunlops.

Switched over to the Michelin PP's and I echo connor's post... it feels like a totally different bike. Wet, Dry, or Cold pavement doesn't matter. These tires hook up without issue.
Well I took the plunge and put some PP2CT's on her. Expensive, but WOW that is one hell of a set of tires. Instantly noticable difference from the stock tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those of you getting 7000km (4000mi) out of your stock tires... how aggresive are you riding?? PS. are the stockers considered soft, medium or hard?

i only get 7000km out of the rear on my 250... so 7000 on a 1400cc seems good to me~ :smile

·
Registered
498 Posts
I used 014 on my ZX-9 and it lasted around 12000km provided your terminal speed was at a constant 130-150km/h. My safe bet would be around 10000km because you have to take in consideration the weight and the torque in generates, that is if you could handle the 'speed temptiness'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. Live in Oregon (lots of twisties, no drag racing). At 2500 miles, my tires are at the wear bars. I have a couple of 600s in Mexico and I get about 5000 miles on those tires. Tire inflation is at specs. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
33 Posts
After two sets of the 014's i changed up to Pilot Power two weeks ago.
Big change for the better imho.
Same tires i use on my R1

To me the CT's are not worth the extra cash.
The 14 eats rear tires, 4k is it for me.
All depends on how you ride.
same exact tire on the R1 will last me 6k

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After two sets of the 014's i changed up to Pilot Power two weeks ago.
Big change for the better imho.
Same tires i use on my R1

To me the CT's are not worth the extra cash.
The 14 eats rear tires, 4k is it for me.
All depends on how you ride.
same exact tire on the R1 will last me 6k
is that km or mi?

·
Registered
498 Posts
From my point of view, you can get more mileage from it provided :-

1. No dragracing
2. No playing sudden torque pickup
3. terminal speed 150km/h below
4. No tyre burning

I use my bike for daily commute to work (220km to and fro) and i am able to get 12000km out from it provided no excess speed of 140-150km/h.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
motovegas > yes... but my tag says i'm in taiwan, and buz may have been nice enough to convert it to km

s_9 > is that in twisties, or on highways?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damm, my stock tires were gone at 4000 miles (well the rears were shot). Put on Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and it feels like a new bike in the corners. I have 2500 miles on the new tires and they are holding up OK considering how soft they are.
Read a column from the recent european cannonball run, they talked about after adding some 'stickier' that the btr014's, they ran into brake problems...and kawasaki attributed it to the fact that the machine is specifically engineered for those tires, and not rated for any others under hard braking.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts